How to replace CPU?

aokigahara

Honorable
May 26, 2012
How would I go about replacing my CPU? I mean I know I'd have to make sure everything is the correct socket and all, but would I just pop it in there? And what about the thermal paste from the heat-sink?

Solution

Most likely, that is all there is to it.

A motherboard bios will support most of the compatible cpu's available at the time of manufacture, and perhaps even more.
On occasion, a new cpu will be compatible, but the motherboard will need a bios update to support it.
The ivy bridge introduction was an example of this.

The OS, Windows, at least is very tolerant of changing cpu chips.

About the only consideration I would think about is the chipset.
If you install a non "K" intel cpu initially, and later might want an upgrade...

aokigahara

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I mean I know how to physically replace it, as I am building a PC at the moment. But I mean down the road if I want a new CPU, could I just buy a CPU with the same socket and replace it? Or is there more to it?

Aug 13, 2012
What cpu are you using? What socket?
First of all you want to remove the heatsink covering the CPU, you can use google on how to remove it. Once that's out of the way you want to use something lint free like microfiber or like obsama1 said, a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol to clean off the thermal paste on it. Once it's clean, there should be a lever, pull that up and remove the cover, take out the CPU gently and again like obsama1 said, not at an angle, do it straight.

After you removed it, put in your new cpu, make sure the golder arrow lines up with the golden arrow on your motherboard and put it in, DO NOT PRESS it in if it doesn't seem to go in. If it is AMD make sure the pins go into the holes, it should "plop" in, if it's intel just give it a little wiggle and then put the cover on the cpu and fasten the lever. Apply the thermal paste, you should only be using a pea sized amount or a grain of rice. Once that is done put on the heatsink and voila, you have replaced your CPU.

Most likely, that is all there is to it.

A motherboard bios will support most of the compatible cpu's available at the time of manufacture, and perhaps even more.
On occasion, a new cpu will be compatible, but the motherboard will need a bios update to support it.
The ivy bridge introduction was an example of this.

The OS, Windows, at least is very tolerant of changing cpu chips.

About the only consideration I would think about is the chipset.
If you install a non "K" intel cpu initially, and later might want an upgrade to a "K" cpu,and overclock it, then you should have bought a Z77 based motherboard.

Solution