Question How to replace thermal paste on this specific GPU?

Dom T

Reputable
May 28, 2015

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
OIC.
the good news is screws are meant to be removed and can easily be inserted again. the shroud and everything save the actual board are attached somehow, and in this case screws.
when I dis-assemble anything for the first time I use my phone. make your own youonlytube video. remove the screws document it on the video, rinse repeat. if you remove the wrong thing you will have a video record of exactly what you did as well as your narrative in the video.
I have found this very helpful when treading in unknown devices.

unless you already procured replacement thermal pads in the right thickness for the memory do not, DO NOT discard the thermal pads should they be there, thermal paste cannot replace thermal pads.

Dom T

Reputable
May 28, 2015
OIC.
the good news is screws are meant to be removed and can easily be inserted again. the shroud and everything save the actual board are attached somehow, and in this case screws.
when I dis-assemble anything for the first time I use my phone. make your own youonlytube video. remove the screws document it on the video, rinse repeat. if you remove the wrong thing you will have a video record of exactly what you did as well as your narrative in the video.
I have found this very helpful when treading in unknown devices.

unless you already procured replacement thermal pads in the right thickness for the memory do not, DO NOT discard the thermal pads should they be there, thermal paste cannot replace thermal pads.

Thanks again. I have successfully removed all screws apart from this one (the screw right next to the 8+6 Pin Connector) and the one opposite that. They look identical to the previous screws but I cannot unscrew them at all.