[SOLVED] how to reset windows defender

Andrew1231

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
So, I had a .rar file full of programs and other things that windows defender thought were viruses. there were like 100+ files that got detected after I run the scan. it shows many files as viruses but when I click 'fix all' it does nothing how do if reset/fix windows defender

Thanks for any help!!

Solution
Windows Defender is usually very accurate on warnings.
You should not use these programs, as they may contain more than one vira - in each program.
If you dont take it serious, you may brick your Windows with vira.

BTW there is NO kind of defender reset - for obvious reasons ... :rolleyes:

Have you made a windows update lately - this is serious business - believe me !

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Windows Defender is usually very accurate on warnings.
You should not use these programs, as they may contain more than one vira - in each program.
If you dont take it serious, you may brick your Windows with vira.

BTW there is NO kind of defender reset - for obvious reasons ... :rolleyes:

Have you made a windows update lately - this is serious business - believe me !

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
So, I had a .rar file full of programs and other things that windows defender thought were viruses. there were like 100+ files that got detected after I run the scan. it shows many files as viruses but when I click 'fix all' it does nothing how do if reset/fix windows defender

Thanks for any help!!
Simple solution - Delete this virus collection, and don't download such stuff again.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't believe defender will delete the files one by one from within the zip file. i believe this is what you are seeing. it scans inside the archive but can't/won't remove the threats until you try to unpack them. then it will catch, quarantine, delete them and so on.

i am pretty sure defender is not "broken" and it's doing what it is supposed to do. the files are no threat while packed away, so it is leaving them be, though it recognizes they are not safe.

as other have noted, just delete the whole pack and stay safe all around. not worth trusting stuff downloaded from the web like that.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Years back I purchased a cheapskate ELM327, comes with a small DVD with drivers.
These drivers and apps were crowded with vira, as the chinese dealer had downloaded from the web and copied to the "driver" DVD.
If you do a search on these drivers, they are still around, containing virus.

Another common issue is looking for car schematics and service manuals.
If you find any of these outside official manufacturer sites, they are almost guaranteed to contain virus and trojans, hidden inside the rar file.

Windows Defender is IMHO the best upgrade Microsoft did to to their Windows OS.
It really needs more respect in public opinion, as it is there to protect you, and it is automatically updated.
Unless you disable that feature.

However it does not protect against trojans .. yet.