Question How to restore the program window without access to the taskbar nor the system tray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
There's a plugin with--very--limited interaction with the main program through its GUI, the only interaction with it is convoluted and is minimal, to disable or enable it, that's it. The way the plugin works is it loads along with the main program while a system tray entry is added having the plugin icon.

When the plugin is doing what it's meant to help with, it uses non-negligible resources, which I'm happy to spend for its intended use but not if it activate by accident; so after I'm done with it I minimize it. However, a decent portion of the time after being minimized, the plugin system tray entry disappear and the only other way I know how to get the plugin window back up is closing the main program then reloading it. I'd rather not do that so am hoping there's a way to somehow send something to the plugin to restore its window by neither using the taskbar (it can never be interacted with that way) nor the system tray. I'm convinced the plugin is active after both being minimized and its system tray entry disappearing, as its executable is listed in Task Manager. Perhaps a command like the following can be used? windows_utility -window_status normal/restored program_name.exe

Thank you kindly for your help

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I mentioned the interaction with the main program is minimal and that the program is listed in the Task Manager even after it's system entry disappeared. I looked everywhere, there's--0 chance--the plugin window can be restored through the main program, you don't need to know what's the main program. Do you know of a command or program that only with a target program image name (.exe) its window can be restored (like double-clicking its system tray entry) ?

Ralston18

Titan
"How to restore the program window without access to the taskbar nor the system tray?"

Why are the Taskbar and System tray missing or otherwise unaccessible?

Because you are not willing to provide relevant information ("the EXACT program", etc..,) my conclusion is that you are trying to get around some administrative block preventing you from "restoring" the un-named program window.

Closing thread accordingly.

Reactions: Lutfij

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sounds like there may be an inactivity time-out on either the program or the plug-in. Look into the details of either and see if there is a way to disable the time-out. Of course, without knowing what the program or plug-in is, there is no definitive answer here. Only our best guesses.

Just a clarification, was it "name.exe" or "named.exe"?

-Wolf sends

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I chose "name.exe" as a placeholder, feel free to use another. I checked the plugin FAQ on its website and that mentioned the same thing I concluded, that the only way to restore the plugin window was to close then reload the main program.

Update 1
Because you are not willing to provide relevant information ("the EXACT program", etc..,) my conclusion is that you are trying to get around some administrative block preventing you from "restoring" the un-named program window.
Why would I minimize the plugin window if an administrative block was causing me to not be able to restore it?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I chose "name.exe" as a placeholder, feel free to use another.

Just trying to get some details so I can help. If the process isn't actually called "name.exe", that limits the amount of aid anyone can provide.

If the FAQ states that the only way to restore the plug-in window is to reload the program, that tells me the plug-in requires some part of the main program loading process and cannot be restarted on it's own. We're probably talking about some sort of synchronization process here that cannot be duplicated (or hasn't been programmed to be duplicated by the plug-in programmers). I think you're out of luck here.

-Wolf sends

DSzymborski

Titan
At this point, I can only conclude one or more of the following things.

1. The original poster is trolling.
  2. The original poster is unable to understand people's objections
  3. The original poster has no interest in resolving their problem.
  4. The original poster is doing something nefarious and/or possibly illegal.
All of these situations entail closing the thread, so I'm going to do so at this time. Please do not open a second thread on this subject until such time you're willing to actually provide the information that people have asked. The time of our volunteers and our posters is valuable; it's bad faith for you to waste their time like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.