How to restore "use visual styles on windows and buttons" ..

I cannot get that check box to stay checked. Don't know what caused it, just
stopped working about a week ago. I searched Google and found a reg "fix"
which did nothing - the check disappears when I click ok. Is there any way
to fix this?

Desktop Windows and buttons

If the Windows XP Style choice isn't available...
Visual styles are implemented by the Themes service. If the service isn't
running, Windows reverts to the classic Windows styles, which doesn't rely
on the Themes service.

To restore the Windows XP styles.
Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click Themes | Set to Automatic under Startup
type | Click the Start button | When Themes starts, close Services

If that doesn't fix the problem, open System Properties.
Right click My Computer |Properties | Advanced tab |
Under Performance, Settings button | Visual Effects tab
Select Use Visual Styles On Windows And Buttons | Apply | OK
-----

Make sure that you have Windows XP as Theme choice.

Right Click My Computer| Properties | Advanced tab | Performance | Settings
button | Visual Effects tab | Select: Use visual styles on Windows and
buttons | Apply | Apply | OK

If you select a visual style other than Windows Classic, that style
determines the appearance of your menus, fonts, icons, and other Window
elements. Including Windows and buttons.

Windows and buttons
[[Lists the visual styles that are available for the theme that is currently
selected on the Themes tab. ]]

[[NOTE: You can change the look of individual items if you select Windows
Classic style in the Windows and buttons list on the Appearance tab of
Display Properties. (Right-click an empty area of your desktop, then click
Properties, and then click the Appearance tab). If you select a visual style
other than Windows Classic, that style determines the appearance of your
menus, fonts, icons, and other Window elements. ]]
How to Change the Font, Size, and Colors of Desktop Items
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310543

[[1. You have an OEM version of Windows XP and the provider didn't include
the Windows XP Luna theme nor did they include any new Windows and Buttons
themes.

2. You are running the the Itanium (64-bit) version of Windows XP, which
does NOT install the Theme service, and does NOT have the Windows XP Luna
theme or any new Windows and Buttons themes.]]
Only 'Classic Windows' is listed in the 'Windows and Buttons' drop-down list
on the Windows XP Appearance tab
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBL/tip5700/rh5781.htm

Themes (Won't Load or only Windows Classic is listed)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes

See this also...

XP Display Properties Dialog & Information
http://www.tgtsoft.com/sb_help/xp.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5FABe.18902$ag7.14999@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
dqgriff@bellsouth.net <dqgriff@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
> I cannot get that check box to stay checked. Don't know what caused it,
> just stopped working about a week ago. I searched Google and found a reg
> "fix" which did nothing - the check disappears when I click ok. Is there
> any way to fix this?

Jan 28, 2021

[...]

16 years later and this helped me... truly unbelievable!

Thanks for this!

- engnrich