How to restore Win7 Registry files

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi guys
i am recently getting a whole load of errors telling me that ive got loads of registry files missing any legit way of getting them back without havin to download them via internet
thanks

Solution
If you're seeing errors regarding missing or corrupt:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM
C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY
C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE
C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM

sfc will not correct this. Those files are the registry hives themselves. They cannot be "downloaded via the Internet", they are created when Windows is installed and are unique to each system.

You need to follow the procedure outlined here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/windowssystem32configsystem-file-missing-or/7e419b32-39b4-4f13-aad7-4bb34b42d587 in order to restore the file/s.

NathanRx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Hey there,
I would first start by following the below steps, it finds any damaged registry files and restores them to their original Windows state

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

almost sounds like those malware/spyware programs telling you you have 10000 errors...

somehow i dont think the sfc will fix this, if all else fails you could also upgrade windows over its self (provided its not a malware/spyware issue)

dont ever use registry/driver/file tools they damage windows!

If you're seeing errors regarding missing or corrupt:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM
C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY
C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE
C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM

sfc will not correct this. Those files are the registry hives themselves. They cannot be "downloaded via the Internet", they are created when Windows is installed and are unique to each system.

You need to follow the procedure outlined here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/windowssystem32configsystem-file-missing-or/7e419b32-39b4-4f13-aad7-4bb34b42d587 in order to restore the file/s.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.