How to run ethernet cables along the walls/corners of my apartment

Daboa

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Most guides are about sending cables through walls and such. I'm just renting but I want wired connections, so I want to run a few ethernet cables 20-50ft.

What is the easiest way to run a cable along corners? Will something like these RCA coaxial cable nail-in clamps work just as well for ethernet? Are there alternatives that don't require nails? How should I handle going through doors?

It seems like a simple task, but I've never done it before and I'm looking for tips.

(For bonus points: if I have 3 devices in my home theater (PC, Roku, and Xbox), will a gigabit switch like this be good enough to avoid needing to run 3 cables? I would want to be able to RDC to the PC, too.)

Solution
Yes those nail in cable things are about the best you're going to get.

Alternative is powerline adapters. It uses the power wiring in your house to create a network, sending data amongst parts of the wiring of your house. I use them for a few places in my new house that I didn't want to run 50feet of cable along the floor.

Whatever one you choose, research it. There are cheap ones out there, expensive ones. Ones that do 20mb up to 300mb/s and beyond now.

Or the cheaper way and use PVC pipe. lol. For all my stereo and TV wiring, I used paper towel and xmas wrapper rolls and painted them the same color as the wall. A few staples to hold them up and all my wiring goes through the tubing. Everyone is like, how did you do the invisible wiring, where are the wires. They don't even see the tubes. lol.

Also depends if their baseboard you can pull up and tuck it behind. Did that in my bedroom for my speakers next to my bed. Just pried it up a bit, tucked the wire in, hammered the nails back in, no wires.

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Yeah that works too im gonna have to install ethernet cables in my house soon as i find a job. The workers who built my house in 2004 didn't bother adding E6 cables to network my computers and the only way to do it without damaging my walls is to drill holes inside my roof and link them all together inside a metal wall box with the router and hardware firewall. Getting fed up with my neighbors not knowing how to choose a wireless channel mode slowing down my connection from mixing signals.

Solution