[SOLVED] How to run two monitors using dedicated GPU and integrated graphics?

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
I am trying to run an extra monitor using the integrated graphics on my motherboard alongside my dedicated GPU. My motherboard DOES have integrated graphics (ATI Radeon 3000) and in the BIOS has an option to enable the integrated GPU alongside the dedicated GPU specifically for running multiple displays, but even after enabling this and giving the integrated GPU a gigabyte of ram to use, it won't work. If I go to device manager, the Radeon 3000 appears alongside my RX 470, but upon clicking it says there are no drivers installed. If I plug my monitor into the motherboard's VGA or DVI ports, it will not detect the monitor at all and the monitor will have no signal. My motherboard BIOS is version 25.0. The monitor and cables both work, as I have tested them both while testing this. Yes, my GPU does have a DVI port, but I really would prefer to have the monitor use the integrated graphics so it does not interfere with my performance in a game. The monitor I am using only has VGA and DVI inputs, so HDMI and any other connectors are not an option.

System specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.5 GHz
GPU: AMD RX 470 (4GB)
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(fx)
RAM: 8GB ddr3 1333 MHz
Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze

Solution
Unfortunately, that was always a possibility given the lack of Windows 10 support. My next step would have been to try drivers from AMD but we know those aren't working either.

Beyond that would be a clean install of Windows sans the RX-470. Get your system up and running again using just on-board video. Then install the RX-470 and see if the on-board is still working. If not, then it likely was never intended to work this way or it just won't work under Windows 10.

Another option would be to find a cheap, used PCI (not PCI-E) graphics card that is Windows 10 compatible and install it in your available PCI slot. Something like a GT 610/710.

Both of these options are pretty extreme and you'd probably be better off just...
SPECIFICATIONS Socket AM3+ CPU (Max Support) FX Baseclock/Hyper Transport up to 5200MT/s Chipset AMD® 760G+SB710 DDR3 Memory DDR3 1066/1333/1600/1866(OC) Memory Channel Dual DIMM Slots 2 Max Memory (GB) 16 PCI-Ex16 1 PCI-E Gen Gen2 (1x16) PCI-Ex1 1 PCI 1 SATAIII 2 SATAII 6 RAID 0/1/10/JBOD TPM (header) 1 LAN 10/100/10001 USB 3.0 ports (Rear) 2 USB 2.0 ports (Rear) 4 Audio ports (Rear) 3 VGA 1 DVI 1 VGA Max Share Memory (MB) 1024 DirectX DX10 Form Factor M-ATX APS Y Hybrid CrossFire Y

No mention of iGPU.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
It has an integrated chip. There are sites online that say it does not, and sites that say it do. Everybody who has actually owned this motherboard will tell you that it does have integrated graphics. As I said, alongside my video card (AMD RX 470), it has ATI Radeon 3000 graphics. My CPU does not have integrated graphics, and I can only fit one GPU into my system, so where is this second GPU coming from? It is integrated into the board, and there is an option to turn it on or off in the BIOS. As I said before, my problem is this integrated chip is not working and will not give me an output, even though it is being recognized by Windows.

Aug 20, 2019
Is this on the same motherboard? I'm still looking for a solution.
No it's not the same motherboard.
I have a GA-78LMT-S2-R2 which also says in their site that has internal graphics card but when i plug my second monitor to the VGA port that is attached to the motherboard nothing is displayed.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@invicious - On the GA-78LMT-S2-R2 . I am not seeing an option in BIOS that allows you to enable on-board graphics if a discrete graphics card is installed in a PCI-E expansion slot. It only allows you to allocate more system memory for it.

@Mehda - Your motherboard manual does not go into the specifics of your BIOS' Advanced Options. Any chance you could post a screen shot of where you enabled the on-board graphics for your system?

-Wolf sends

Aug 20, 2019
@invicious - On the GA-78LMT-S2-R2 . I am not seeing an option in BIOS that allows you to enable on-board graphics if a discrete graphics card is installed in a PCI-E expansion slot. It only allows you to allocate more system memory for it.

@Mehda - Your motherboard manual does not go into the specifics of your BIOS' Advanced Options. Any chance you could post a screen shot of where you enabled the on-board graphics for your system?

-Wolf sends
So does that mean that i can't use my internal graphics at all ?

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Removing the dedicated GPU does not make it work. No output. I can't figure out how to upload screenshots (or where to upload them), so I am currently unable to give you an image of the advanced BIOS settings.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Removing the dedicated GPU does not make it work. No output. I can't figure out how to upload screenshots (or where to upload them), so I am currently unable to give you an image of the advanced BIOS settings.

You need to use a third party site like tinypic or imgur to upload your images. Then you can post the link to the image here.

If the on-board graphics are not working with the discrete graphics card removed, there are other issues here. What OS are you running? If it's Windows 10, that would be my guess as to why it's not working.

To any who still think this motherboard does not have on-board graphics, you cannot have Hybrid Crossfire support without on-board graphics.

-Wolf sends

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Here is an image of the advanced BIOS features.
OtX75AK.jpg

Here is another image of device manager AFTER enabling the feature. An extra graphics device (what I assume is the on-board graphics) appears alongside my dedicated graphics.
pHei5NG.png

I am using Windows 10 Home. If that is what is causing this to not work, is there any way to get it to work?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Change Primary Graphics Adapter to [Auto]. I think that should be an option and then shut down the computer and remove the discrete card. Now test to see if on-board is working.

If so, then at least we have that working.
If not, then I'd be guessing Windows 10 is the cause.

-Wolf sends

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Auto is not an option. It is either integrated or PCIe, and even when setting it to integrated, it will use the discrete GPU for output and the secondary display won't appear in device manager. It says there's no drivers installed for the integrated graphics and I have no idea where I would find drivers for graphics this old.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Normally, you'd get them from the motherboard manufacturer, but they do not offer drivers for Windows 10. You could try Windows 7 (8 if they're offered) and those might work.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Try these Windows 7 64-bit drivers: AMD System Drivers for 7xx/8xx/SB7xx/SB8xx Series (except RS690, 740)

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Tried getting drivers from AMD's website for the exact graphics I needed. Nothing is working. I tried following some online sources and I still can't figure this out. I appreciate the help you all have given me, though. I'm still hoping to find a solution to this.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Again. Try the ones I suggested above, from the MOTHERBOARD manufacturer's web site.

-Wolf sends
Sorry, didn't read original one right. I downloaded said drivers from MSI's website for my board and upon activating the drivers, my PC blue screened and got stuck in an infinite blue screen on boot. Had to delete the drivers in order to get a successful boot. So far, that is the most progress I have made with trying to figure this out. Not sure if I installed them incorrectly or what, so a little guidance would be helpful. I'm not the most experienced when it comes to tech.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, that was always a possibility given the lack of Windows 10 support. My next step would have been to try drivers from AMD but we know those aren't working either.

Beyond that would be a clean install of Windows sans the RX-470. Get your system up and running again using just on-board video. Then install the RX-470 and see if the on-board is still working. If not, then it likely was never intended to work this way or it just won't work under Windows 10.

Another option would be to find a cheap, used PCI (not PCI-E) graphics card that is Windows 10 compatible and install it in your available PCI slot. Something like a GT 610/710.

Both of these options are pretty extreme and you'd probably be better off just using the RX-470 for both displays.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Yeah, those other options seem like too much work for something as simple as what I'm trying to do. I appreciate all the help you have given me in trying to figure this out, it means a lot.