[SOLVED] How to safely clean my GPU ?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
So a year is coming up to me having this PC, the dust buildup on my GPU is not much as I barely get time to play but I hear making it a habit of cleaning your GPU at least once a year will keep PC healthier.

My Graphics card is an RTX3070TI which is why I'm nervous to clean it, I don't want to break it and it's game over. My main concern is getting the card out of the slot and breaking it.

Will some compressed air while holding down the fan blades do the trick? I hear new cards have fan idle mode that blow out the dust too.

How do I safely clean the GPU ?

Thanks,

Solution
If the card is not visibly dirty I'd advise to leave it alone. If your card is visibly dirty, i.e, the areas where the fans are located and airflow is prevalent on the fintstack, that's when you should remove the GPU from the PCIe slot and then either perform a cleaning with a soft bristle painters brush or disassemble the entire card and deep clean it. When deep cleaning changing out the thermal pads and paste for a higher quality one will help improve temps, meaning less high RPM fan moments.

Got a link to the card you own? Also, got a picture of what your card looks like now in the build?

Lutfij

Titan
If the card is not visibly dirty I'd advise to leave it alone. If your card is visibly dirty, i.e, the areas where the fans are located and airflow is prevalent on the fintstack, that's when you should remove the GPU from the PCIe slot and then either perform a cleaning with a soft bristle painters brush or disassemble the entire card and deep clean it. When deep cleaning changing out the thermal pads and paste for a higher quality one will help improve temps, meaning less high RPM fan moments.

Got a link to the card you own? Also, got a picture of what your card looks like now in the build?

Solution

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021

Thanks for the response. This is my card.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/components...piry=1657227203&source=webgains&siteid=206719

Card in current set up: View: https://imgur.com/a/SlvzDU2