[SOLVED] How to safely remove AM4 Retention Clips of Cooler Master 212 Turbo

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I'm having a hardtime removing the retention clips that secure the heatsink (CM 212x Turbo) to the am4 Motherboard
Whats the correct way of doing this? Ive unlocked the clip and despite applying severe pressure have had no luck removing the clips.
Its slightly loose from the cpu as it twists around fairly easily
Pictures:

Picture 1
Picture 2

Solution
Thank you both will give it a try in the morning. What do you mean by being careful? Is it possible to permanently damage the motherboard if a little more pressure is applied? I ask because after I put in new ram it didn't post so I decided to try and reinstall the ram and CPU then clear cmos. Not only was i obviously unsuccessful in removing the CPU, but no am also facing the issue of the debug led that shows error codes not lighting up at all
It is ALWAYS possible to damage something. By careful, I would mean slowly apply increasing pressure. You obviously want to use the least possible pressure to get the job done. You are also effectively "stabbing" your PC. You don't want the screwdriver tip slipping off the cross...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm having a hardtime removing the retention clips that secure the heatsink (CM 212x Turbo) to the am4 Motherboard
Whats the correct way of doing this? Ive unlocked the clip and despite applying severe pressure have had no luck removing the clips.
Its slightly loose from the cpu as it twists around fairly easily
Pictures:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Are you trying to remove the heatsink ? Flipping the lever UP I believe (maybe all the way to the other side) should release the tension on the cross piece. Then the latches should be able to move outward a little bit to allow you to remove the heatsink.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Are you trying to remove the heatsink ? Flipping the lever UP I believe (maybe all the way to the other side) should release the tension on the cross piece. Then the latches should be able to move outward a little bit to allow you to remove the heatsink.
Yes I am, and I did that.
I have fully unlocked the latches but they're still not moving

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
You see the end with the metal tab? I use to take a flat screw driver, press down a little and then apply a little force towards the metal tab with the screw driver and it should be just enough to clear it, just be careful.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
You see the end with the metal tab? I use to take a flat screw driver, press down a little and then apply a little force towards the metal tab with the screw driver and it should be just enough to clear it, just be careful.
Thank you both will give it a try in the morning. What do you mean by being careful? Is it possible to permanently damage the motherboard if a little more pressure is applied? I ask because after I put in new ram it didn't post so I decided to try and reinstall the ram and CPU then clear cmos. Not only was i obviously unsuccessful in removing the CPU, but no am also facing the issue of the debug led that shows error codes not lighting up at all

kanewolf

Titan
It is ALWAYS possible to damage something. By careful, I would mean slowly apply increasing pressure. You obviously want to use the least possible pressure to get the job done. You are also effectively "stabbing" your PC. You don't want the screwdriver tip slipping off the cross piece and damaging something. Slow movement and slowly building pressure will minimize the risks.
Not carefully might be interpreted as "Hammer the end of a screwdriver to put pressure on the cross piece" ...

Solution

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
It is ALWAYS possible to damage something. By careful, I would mean slowly apply increasing pressure. You obviously want to use the least possible pressure to get the job done. You are also effectively "stabbing" your PC. You don't want the screwdriver tip slipping off the cross piece and damaging something. Slow movement and slowly building pressure will minimize the risks.
Not carefully might be interpreted as "Hammer the end of a screwdriver to put pressure on the cross piece" ...
OK, but do you think with the problems that I'm having above, the motherboard is fine?