Question How to save my Intel CPU from degradation etc

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
I have had an 14900k since late dec 2023, barely ever overclocked it, i have an z790 Rog maximus dark hero, custom ek water cooling, in the beginning i had cheap lexar 4800Mhz rams so was running on default bios settings, then on may 15th i got myself corsair dominator titanium's 6400 mhz, then been using XMP. Regularly updating the bios, even updated the latest mobo bios released on 12th July which said: "Updated with microcode 0x125 to ensure eTVB operates within Intel specifications"

I had BSODs when i got the ram, when i was testing XMP I and XMP II , then it became stable later on recently i got some crashes maybe like 2 or 3 times, then 1 BSOD during gameplay of a very old game witcher 1 released back in 2007, but these crashes were after i updated the july bios and was testing XMP again.

My question is, what should i do for now to make sure my CPU doesn't get degrade like switch to deault bios settings, undervolt it ? I am from Pakistan, i had my cpu imported, i cannot RMA my cpu nor do i think it is damaged or something of the sort. I am so confused right now, if my cpu is fine or is it dying.

Lutfij

Titan
My question is, what should i do for now to make sure my CPU doesn't get degrade like switch to deault bios settings, undervolt it ? I am from Pakistan, i had my cpu imported, i cannot RMA my cpu nor do i think it is damaged or something of the sort. I am so confused right now, if my cpu is fine or is it dying.
It's a manufacturing defect and the BIOS update that's meant to come out this month is meant to be a stop gap to a larger problem across their processors, not just one or two samples. If you do your due diligence, you'll see people are either avoiding Intel or offloading their stock for cheap.

If you're not undergoing any issues whatsoever, then leave it be and make sure you've updated the BIOS to the latest version. This is one video of many you can find on YT;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3EW5lRIZYc

Reactions: Durwesh Naeem

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Last night i updated to the latest beta bios ,just like Jayz2cents explained in his latest video. but sadly i got 1 random BSOD while watching a YT video. what if i get a new 14900KS . with the updated microcode in the BIOS, which limits the cpu performances and voltages according to the intel latest specification, do you think the new CPU will not be physically damaged, in case my current one was

Last night i updated to the latest beta bios ,just like Jayz2cents explained in his latest video. but sadly i got 1 random BSOD while watching a YT video. what if i get a new 14900KS . with the updated microcode in the BIOS, which limits the cpu performances and voltages according to the intel latest specification, do you think the new CPU will not be physically damaged, in case my current one was

personally there isnt much you can do atm from what we know alot of these processors are effected and even if you got another doesnt matter the whole batch from 13/14th gen are bugged. i personally have stopped recommending intel builds and do not make any new computers using intel ( which i haven't since the first signs of this stuff happened in 13th gen).

Reactions: Durwesh Naeem

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
personally there isnt much you can do atm from what we know alot of these processors are effected and even if you got another doesnt matter the whole batch from 13/14th gen are bugged. i personally have stopped recommending intel builds and do not make any new computers using intel ( which i haven't since the first signs of this stuff happened in 13th gen).
Do you think the 14th gen CPUs still in production? If yes, do you think the newer batches won't have these issues

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
So in a nutshell, you upgraded your RAM and started having BSOD. Do you still have the old RAM? I am skeptical outright of this being a CPU issue in such a short timeframe (May to Aug). Either try the old RAM again or underclock the current RAM by disabling XMP and see if you get stability back.

Do you think the 14th gen CPUs still in production? If yes, do you think the newer batches won't have these issues

the issue is i dont think intel fully knows whats going on with there cpus atm there throwing everything but the kitchen sink out. the new ram you changed to could be a issue switch back to the old if you have it on hand and see if the issue persists. atm i would advise switching the whole board and cpu out and go am5 if you believe your cpu is effected.