How to scan and OCR less common fonts?

Best

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004

I have ten-page document written with the font Pyparus that needs to be
scanned. I tried with OmniPage Pro. The result is so bad that I might
as well as retyping the pages. I usually do scanning in grayscale at
150DPI, which gives excellent OCR result for regular documents uses
arial or times. But not in this case with the font Pyparus. Anyone know
a better way to scan? Thanks.

In article <2m5kk09q9rtoqbi4jtlgvpv4or5do61hub@4ax.com>,
best@worsttime.com says...

>I have ten-page document written with the font Pyparus that needs to be
>scanned. I tried with OmniPage Pro. The result is so bad that I might
>as well as retyping the pages. I usually do scanning in grayscale at
>150DPI, which gives excellent OCR result for regular documents uses
>arial or times. But not in this case with the font Pyparus. Anyone know
>a better way to scan? Thanks.

I dont know how tough a Pyparus font might be for OCR, but in every case,
the very first thing I would try is 300 dpi (400 dpi if a small font
size). A TIF file, not JPG (JPG artifacts are tough too). Or just let
OmniPage scan it, it will use 300 dpi. OmniPage Pro instructions say:

The ideal resolution for OCR is 300 dpi. Images with less than 200 dpi or
more than 400 dpi are liable to yield far lower accuracy.

OmniPage Pro also says:

If your only criteria is OCR accuracy, prefer black-and-white scanning
for good quality documents with crisp black text on a white background.
Choose grayscale scanning if you are scanning pages with text on colored
or shaded backgrounds, or for degraded documents with low or varied
contrast.

However, I find 300 dpi grayscale does very well, esp on less than
optimum print quality, so I'd try both, at 300 dpi.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

best <best@worsttime.com> wrote in message news:<2m5kk09q9rtoqbi4jtlgvpv4or5do61hub@4ax.com>...
> I have ten-page document written with the font Pyparus that needs to be
> scanned. I tried with OmniPage Pro. The result is so bad that I might
> as well as retyping the pages. I usually do scanning in grayscale at
> 150DPI, which gives excellent OCR result for regular documents uses
> arial or times. But not in this case with the font Pyparus. Anyone know
> a better way to scan? Thanks.

Neither my book of fonts nor a Google web search tells me what Pyparus
looks like, but just as an idea, you could try a handwriting
recogniser like SimpleOCR which you train to recognise your own
personal "font". A free trial download from http://www.simpleocr.com/
will give you 14 days to scan your document. SimpleOCR didn't work
very well on my scrawl (I decided I can type faster than I can write
neatly enough), but a more regular font might work better.

Chris