[SOLVED] How to secure erase a Crucial SSD (CT250MX500SSD1)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2020
Hi, I'd like to secure erase CT250MX500SSD1 but apparently the Crucial Executive tool does not support this.
Tried running hdparm from a Mint USB drive but terminal gives errors (I don't remember the specifics, can edit them in this post later)

SSD works fine and was a good purchase, but I'd really to secure erase it before giving it away.
Any suggestions? Free generic secure erase utilities I could run from my HD or from an USB drive?

Someone elsewhere said the issue could be my motherboard - do older models not support Secure Erase through Crucial's utility?

Is connecting the SSD to another computer worth it? I do have a pretty good laptop, but then I would need an adapter and I understand you need a "pure" SATA connection for secure erase, right?

Last edited:
Maybe not through Crucials software, but you can through BIOS or other software.

You're right about Crucial's software not supporting it, I've contacted them directly and they gave me a vague answer. Third party software most likely will do the trick - like EaseUS or Paritition Wizard and CCLeaner, but I've had 3 different generations of crucial SSD's from mx100 to mx500 and was never able to BIOS secure erase them. Crucial doesn't make it easy and they actually sound like they recommend formatting it over Secure erase when you plan to sell your drive, oddly enough.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/how-to-format-a-solid-state-drive
(Scroll down to 'erasing personal data' section)

Jan 11, 2020
Wow, thanks for all the answers - MUCH more useful than what I got elsewhere, although I don't have the time to try some of these options right now.

You can secure erase 2.5in drives.

Look in your BIOS for a secure erase option.

Otherwise, you can write this to a USB and boot into it on the machine with the SSD. Then you can use this software to erase the SSD.
What do you mean by "this"? Are you recommending a specific tool or .iso? I don't see any in your post (apologies if it's there - this is my first thread here on my forum, so I might be missing something that's obvious to you!)

Jan 11, 2020
Going to give this SSD (the whole PC, actually) to someone else, and secure erasing seems the best thing to do, even if I didn't really have any super secret files on it.

Wow, thanks for all the answers - MUCH more useful than what I got elsewhere, although I don't have the time to try some of these options right now.

What do you mean by "this"? Are you recommending a specific tool or .iso? I don't see any in your post (apologies if it's there - this is my first thread here on my forum, so I might be missing something that's obvious to you!)
No, im just a dummy and forgot the link.

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/resources/secure-erase.html

Jan 11, 2020
^^^ this. Crucial uses Sanitize rather then Secure erase which should be in their Storage Executive software.
When I run the Crucial Storage Executive app I do see the Sanitize option, but my drive shows as not supported.

I don't have the time to try these suggestions now, but I will in the next days and tell you which (if any) worked (EDIT: and mark the question as 'solved').

Jan 11, 2020
So I ended up doing a PSID revert, wondering if that was enough and how different from a regular 'secure erase' it is and then noticing that post-revert I COULD use the Sanitize option. So I used that too.

I have to check if the drive works correctly, but assuming it does - this was as good as secure erase from BIOS or one of the suggested tools, right?

USAFRet

Titan
So I ended up doing a PSID revert, wondering if that was enough and how different from a regular 'secure erase' it is and then noticing that post-revert I COULD use the Sanitize option. So I used that too.

I have to check if the drive works correctly, but assuming it does - this was as good as secure erase from BIOS or one of the suggested tools, right?
Yes.
Sanitize is 'secure erase', just by another name.

Jan 11, 2020
(sorry for all the questions) That I understand, what I mean is - what is the difference between
  1. PSID revert with no sanitize/secure erase?
  2. PSID revert AND sanitize (what I just did)?

Status
Not open for further replies.