[SOLVED] How to set doom3 resolution perminately?

I have doom 3 on my modern pc with a 1080p monitor. Using the config file to change the res to 1080p and aa to 16x it worked untill i shutdown my pc. Reboot, 480p again.

How to perminantly set res to 1080p?

Solution
Also, to ensure a fool-proof widescreen experience, follow these steps:
  1. Make sure you start with a clean, fresh installation of Doom 3. This means if it’s been installed before and you’ve tried tweaking configuration files or used mods, uninstall the game and any mods, then delete any leftover files from them in the Steam folder and any other folders where they create file.

2. Once the game is installed, start it up and set your desired graphics settings. Keep the anti-aliasing to a maximum of 8x (there is a bug that some people reported when using 16x with custom resolutions). Make sure you click Apply Changes. Exit the game.

3. Open Notepad or your preferred text editor and add the commands from my...
I have doom 3 on my modern pc with a 1080p monitor. Using the config file to change the res to 1080p and aa to 16x it worked untill i shutdown my pc. Reboot, 480p again.

How to perminantly set res to 1080p?

Set the configuration, then edit the rights of the file to make it read only and remote edit rights from all accounts. Hopefully that won't crash the game. If it does, undo the changes.

Hello remix,

Just mark the config file as "Read-only". Right click, under properties. Doing this won't allow the game's engine to override the settings again. Also, do NOT forget to add this variable/cvar as well:

seta r_aspectRatio "1". 1= 16:9 ratio, 0 = 4:3 and 2 = 16:10**

After doing this, restart the game, but no not touch any of the in-game graphics/video settings.

Last edited:
Also, to ensure a fool-proof widescreen experience, follow these steps:
  1. Make sure you start with a clean, fresh installation of Doom 3. This means if it’s been installed before and you’ve tried tweaking configuration files or used mods, uninstall the game and any mods, then delete any leftover files from them in the Steam folder and any other folders where they create file.

2. Once the game is installed, start it up and set your desired graphics settings. Keep the anti-aliasing to a maximum of 8x (there is a bug that some people reported when using 16x with custom resolutions). Make sure you click Apply Changes. Exit the game.

3. Open Notepad or your preferred text editor and add the commands from my example above. Be sure to use the native resolution of your monitor for the height and width. If you have a 16:10 monitor, use “2” instead of “1” for the aspect ratio.

4. Save this file as autoexec.cfg in the doom 3/base folder.
  5. Whenever you launch the game from now on, this file will be executed to set your resolution to the custom values, all without manually editing the DoomConfig.cfg file (it’s always nice to avoid editing original game files).

6. The menu will still appear in a lower resolution. You have to start playing the actual game to view your custom resolution.

Solution
Last edited:
There are many HD texture pack mods for this game. We even have Enemy and Weapon texture Mods. But DOOM 3 is having too many Mods. Check out the following Mods. There are more texture packs for this game...

https://www.moddb.com/mods/absolutehd

https://www.moddb.com/mods/wulfen-texture-pack

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-redux

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-hi-def

By the way, these mods are for the original DOOM 3 game, not the BFG edition. Not sure whether these are fully compatible with the BFG edition as well.

Not much. The BFG edition is actually an official re-boot of the original Game, and it was based on a slightly modified ID Tech 4 engine as well. Though, it also packs some texture and audio improvements, and some of the game levels do look awesome in the BFG edition of DOOM 3.

It also features a checkpoint save system. The game also includes the previous expansion, Resurrection of Evil, and a new single-player expansion pack called The Lost Mission. DOOM is back on earth.