[SOLVED] How to set HDD permission for full access

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Had several primary partitions and an extended partition on 1 tb hdd.
Deleted volumes, set up new partitions -3 as primary. Copied Win10 Image to HDD and moved data to the other 2 partitions.

Now all of the partitions show read only access to files. Cannot write to the partitions.
Attempted to change Folder properties to Full Access, but the folders all are still read only.

How do I change the permissions to Full Access?

Colif

Win 11 Master
All windows 10 folders are always read only BUT if you have the right permissions you can make changes. Trying to change them from read only doesn't work, they just swap back after you close folder.

You should be able to take ownership of the folders, windows should have offered that when you first click on a folder
https://www.laptopmag.com/au/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

don't do it to C drive or you break windows

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Had several primary partitions and an extended partition on 1 tb hdd.
Deleted volumes, set up new partitions -3 as primary. Copied Win10 Image to HDD and moved data to the other 2 partitions.

Now all of the partitions show read only access to files. Cannot write to the partitions.
Attempted to change Folder properties to Full Access, but the folders all are still read only.

How do I change the permissions to Full Access?

What are you actually trying to do?
Start to finish, please.

Copied Win10 Image to HDD
How and why?

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
All windows 10 folders are always read only BUT if you have the right permissions you can make changes. Trying to change them from read only doesn't work, they just swap back after you close folder.

You should be able to take ownership of the folders, windows should have offered that when you first click on a folder
https://www.laptopmag.com/au/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

don't do it to C drive or you break windows

Btw Drive C is SSd. The Hdd I'm trying to clean up and use as data/file storage.

Attempted to first set at the folder level, didn't work - system indicated Write protection. So I backed up to the partition level- security all local users & other user that didn't allow full access, marked for full access
The system indicated write protections in all attempts.

Next suggestion, please. Also had looked at MS info and had tried to locate the registry control access area before submitting this question.

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Btw Drive C is SSd. The Hdd I'm trying to clean up and use as data/file storage.

Attempted to first set at the folder level, didn't work - system indicated Write protection. So I backed up to the partition level- security all local users & other user that didn't allow full access, marked for full access
The system indicated write protections in all attempts.

Next suggestion, please. Also had looked at MS info and had tried to locate the registry control access area before submitting this question.
Thought I'd pass along the found issue and solution.
Being a slow learner I used Macrium Reflect image to restore OS to Hdd - twice and continued to experience the Write only media error.
The image was created before trying to finish a build with new Mobo.

Finally found a reference to the write issue and using the info I ran Sfc/scannow as apparently the Registry had some corruption.

Then used a previously created image, after Cleaning [all] in Diskpart and used diskmgmt to setup the disk partitions.
This was a clean install that cleared the issue I had been chasing for several days.

Again I wanted to thank you for your assistance.