How to set up a second monitor using hdmi port to GPU and built in one

killastrra

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Im using a monitor but want to use this old hdmi monitor for a second one, not for games just for youtube or something. How can I install this. my main monitor is plugged in my gtx 1080 and the other in the build in gpu but says no signal how can i get this to work

Thanks

Solution

He wanted to use both monitors. He incorrectly plugged his monitor into his motherboard. Plugging the second monitor into the GPU is the solution, for him and others who are looking to solve this simple and common problem.

This is totally incorrect.

You just need to use your GTX 1080 to power any and all monitors you connect to your PC.

Do not plug displays into your motherboard when you have a dedicated graphics card. ALWAYS use the dedicated graphics card, always.

Your Integrated graphics are disabled and should remain disabled as long as you have a graphics card installed.

No, I answered his question.

He wanted to use both native and discrete GPU's which can be done quite easily, especially if using the iGPU as a non-3d second display or choosing different programs for different adapters etc.

Enabling onboard graphics gives you access to Intel's encoder etc, and it's good to have bot VGA drivers on your system.

He wanted to use both monitors. He incorrectly plugged his monitor into his motherboard. Plugging the second monitor into the GPU is the solution, for him and others who are looking to solve this simple and common problem.

Solution

I agree, but I presumed he needed two HDMI ports but yes using one GPU's outputs is easier if it isn't for a specific reason. So easy you'd think it wouldn't need to be a question :p