Question How to setup port forwarding with MetroNet fiber Internet?

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
Hi, experts:

I am using MetroNet's fiber Internet at home. I need to setup port forwarding so that I can access my home computer from outside. But when I called tech support of MetroNet, the rep told me that he doesn't know how to do it. I searched Internet but had no luck. So I ask here in hope that some expert knows and can teach me how to do it.

First of all, does MetroNet support port forwarding at all? Do I need to purchase a static IP from MetroNet first?

Second, if it is possible, can you please teach me how to setup port forwarding with MetroNet's fiber Internet? Thanks a lot.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, experts:

I am using MetroNet's fiber Internet at home. I need to setup port forwarding so that I can access my home computer from outside. But when I called tech support of MetroNet, the rep told me that he doesn't know how to do it. I searched Internet but had no luck. So I ask here in hope that some expert knows and can teach me how to do it.

First of all, does MetroNet support port forwarding at all? Do I need to purchase a static IP from MetroNet first?

Second, if it is possible, can you please teach me how to setup port forwarding with MetroNet's fiber Internet? Thanks a lot.
What is the model of the router you have ?
Can you login to the admin pages of the router ?

You may not have to purchase a static IP. You may be able to use DDNS (dynamic DNS) to associate a URL with your changing dynamic IP address.
BUT, we need more info to help you more.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
What is the model of the router you have ?
Can you login to the admin pages of the router ?
Thanks for the reply. A white bigger box has a label "eero Pro 6" and "Model No. K010001". For another smaller white box, I don't know what model it is, but I see "NOKIA" and "InterTek" on it.

I don't know what the address of the admin webpage is. I tried to connect to 192.168.4.1 which is the IP of Default Gateway and DHCP Server, but was unable to connect.

Please let me know if the above information is enough for setup port forwarding.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply. A white bigger box has a label "eero Pro 6" and "Model No. K010001". For another smaller white box, I don't know what model it is, but I see "NOKIA" and "InterTek" on it.

I don't know what the address of the admin webpage is. I tried to connect to 192.168.4.1 which is the IP of Default Gateway and DHCP Server, but was unable to connect.

Please let me know if the above information is enough for setup port forwarding.
Without knowing how to login to router, you won't get very far. You could try https instead of http

Where did you get that router from.
They seem to go to great length to not document anything. From what I can tell you need some phone app to configure it. Next there is a monthly subscription for many of the features including DDNS which you might need for what you propose.
From a cost standpoint you likely could toss that router in the trash and just for the cost of the subscription buy a better one....well almost but it is still $10 a month.
It also is a very expensive router to start with so it is strange they try to get even more money for features they should have put in to the base firmware.

In any case if this comes from the ISP see if they require it or you can use your own router. From what I can tell you likely have some kind of fiber box or modem that this router plugs into.

After that call this idiot company and ask them, they have a support telephone number at least.

I would not be surprised if they bundled the port forwarding into one there subscrition packages.

The subscriptions for features and the need to use a phone app to configure it would make it a never buy this product on my list.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
Where did you get that router from.
The router was given by the installation technician. I will call the ISP to see if I can buy my own router which allows me to setup port forwarding.

After that call this idiot company and ask them, they have a support telephone number at least.
I called the idiot ISP company (MetroNet), the rep said he doesn't know how to setup port forwarding. I called the idiot router company (eero), after hours' phone call the tech support rep basically said I don't know. I sent a ticket to this idiot company, the reply from an idiot tech support rep was nothing but <Mod Edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of things I would do.

First when you call the ISP ask if you have a public IP or a private one. Hopefully the tech is smart enough to know this. This is not what is called a fixed or static IP. Many ISP will charge you for fixed/static public IP.
That is a just a public IP that never changes, you do not care if it changes you just need a public IP to yourself. Most ISP do not charge for this kind of public IP. You would use the DDNS function to deal with it changing from time to time.

Without a public IP pretty much this is the end of your project. Some ISP do not offer this for any price. You can not port forward or easily get remote access without one.

Next instead of using port forwarding to access your PC I would use a VPN. Since you are looking to buy a router look for one that has the vpn server function. Most advertise this as a way to get remote access to your machine. It has become a much more common feature.
VPN is going to be much more secure than directly accessing your machine. Most routers now use OPENVPN for which you can get client apps for almost any platform.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
First when you call the ISP ask if you have a public IP or a private one. Hopefully the tech is smart enough to know this.

I call the idiot ISP (MetroNet) again today, in hope that I can make some progress. The result is the opposite. Last time the rep at least knew port forwarding but honestly admitted that he doesn't know how to setup. This time the rep took a step further -- s/he didn't even know what port forwarding is. I don't understand why MetroNet recruited a group of idiots who know nothing about tech to do tech support.

Knowing these idiots can offer no help about port forwarding, I asked whether I can use my own router. But again, the idiot reps continued to say I don't know. WTF!

A AI would almost be smarter. Most these people read their little script and once they get off it they are as brainless as a AI. Then again ISP do not pay the kind of money to the level 1 support guys it would take for someone to have actual skills and be able to tolerate dumb customers who don't even know where the power button is on their router.

What I would try is to remove their router and plug directly into the modem with your PC and see what that does. If you are lucky the ISP will give your PC a public IP which means you can easily just use your own router.

Not sure about a fiber box but some cable modem you must power cycle the modem when you plug something different into them.

I call the idiot ISP (MetroNet) again today, in hope that I can make some progress. The result is the opposite. Last time the rep at least knew port forwarding but honestly admitted that he doesn't know how to setup. This time the rep took a step further -- s/he didn't even know what port forwarding is. I don't understand why MetroNet recruited a group of idiots who know nothing about tech to do tech support.

Knowing these idiots can offer no help about port forwarding, I asked whether I can use my own router. But again, the idiot reps continued to say I don't know. WTF!

ISP only going to care about if the rented equipment is working. They aren't going to help you configure your network. Especially for something like port forwarding. default setups block all inbounds by default for a reason. They should be able to answer if you have a static ip or not which could be important depending on what you're trying to do.