Question How to setup two monitors so that the computer sees them as a single monitor?

Dec 28, 2022
Hello,

Please forgive me if this is not the correct sub- forum. I have two identical WUXGA 16:10 monitors in portrait orientation that are put side by side next to each other. My laptop provides HDMI and VGA ports and it came with an Intel HD 620 iGPU and a discrete Nvidia GTX 950M, but physically everything is connected through the Intel iGPU.

One monitor is connected to the HDMI port and the other to the VGA port. The bottom part of the monitor's bezel is thicker so one of the monitors is set as portrait or 90 degrees (bottom bezel to the left), and the other is set in portrait flipped 270 degrees (bottom bezel to the right).

I want to create a mosaic or collage so at the end Windows sees monitors 2 and 3 as if they are a single 5:4 "monitor". The idea here is that if I maximize the window of any program it occupies the entire screen area automatically and if I set programs like VLC, or a video game to “full screen”, the image have to be stretched using both physical monitors as one single image. I have already used Windows 10 options to extend the desktop but they are still treated as two separate monitors. On the Intel HD Graphics control panel, there is an option that as I said is called "collage", but the problem is that it doesn't take into consideration that the monitors are already in portrait, oriented in different directions, if I select the horizontal orientation it assumes that they are side by side with the bottom bezel at the bottom:

If I select the vertical option it assumes that the monitors are on top of each other with the bottom bezel at the bottom, in other words it doesn't take into consideration that one is 90 degrees and the other is 270 degrees.

Selecting the horizontal option the mosaic was created but since they are facing opposite direction the image in the monitor at the right doesn't match with the image of the monitor at the left and also the image is oriented as if I have a tall 1920x2400 monitor instead of a wide 2400x1920 monitor. Even when the image is in the wrong direction I went to Windows display option to set that new "monitor" in portrait mode (I know it sounds confusing but that's the correct choice), but after doing that the collage or mosaic broke, one of the monitors was disconnected and it was not recognized until I disabled the collage option at the Intel HD graphics control panel. Nvidia also have a similar option but in my setup the Nvidia processor is just for 3D and it needs the Intel HD "bus" to send the signal to the video ports, that option is not available in the Nvidia control panel.

Since that didn't work I tried a couple of monitor management tools like Displayfusion, Ultramon, Nirsoft Multimonitor Tool and Dualmonitor Tools. But none can do what I'm looking, they are just tools to enhance what you can do already on Windows 10 display options. I did found that with Dualmonitor Tools there is an option that helps me to define a window that take the entire area of the two monitors doing it with a single keyboard combo. So at least, for windowed programs I can quickly resize the window to occupy both screens, but if I want to set the program to fullscreen, it will occupy only one of the monitors.

Do you have any idea how can I accomplish this?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Try "WIN" + "P".

(Press the Windows key and the "P" key.)

There should be four screen "Project" choices offered:

PC screen only
Duplicate
Extend
Second screen only

As I understand your post the requirement is for Extend screen.

Will Extend screen work either with or without the Intel Graphics Control Panel?

Dec 28, 2022
@Ralston18 yeah thanks I already try that as I said in my post I also tried with tools that enhanced Windows options.

I want to amend something that was not completely correct. So the collage option from the Intetl CP does works and the "display" is created but when you use that option the laptop's integrated display gets disconnected and when you try to extend the desktop to it, then the collage breaks up.

Arabinda0007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2020
Getting Started with NVIDIA Surround

1. What is NVIDIA Surround?
  • Surround is a feature of the NVIDIA Game Ready driver that allows you to combine two to three separate displays to create a single synchronized visual canvas. This technology is especially compelling for driving/flight simulation and first/third-person shooters where the widest possible wide field of view can help you experience greater immersion or take your situational awareness to new levels.
2. NVIDIA Surround Requirements
  • Latest NVIDIA drivers which can be downloaded using NVIDIA GeForce Experience
  • Maxwell (700 series) or later desktop GPU or laptop with Maxwell (900 series) or later GPU
  • Sufficient display outputs from your GPU(s)
    • i. Important: Nvidia Surround allows for combining displays which are not identical (eg in size or available resolutions or output protocol). When mixing different display types the display driver maintains image synchronization between displays (This synchronization prevents common issues like image tearing or out of sync frames across the displays). However, this synchronization requirement can lead to the driver disincluding certain resolutions and refresh rates. To guarantee that all available resolutions and refresh rates on a particular display be available in Surround it is necessary to use identical displays and connect them to the gpu with identical output protocol.
    • ii. For laptops: to check the number and types of external display outputs directly connected to your NVIDIA GPU, open the NVIDIA Control Panel and click “Configure Surround, PhysX”
      1. If you do not have the laptop on hand, please contact the manufacturer for display output specifications
      2. If “Configure Surround, PhysX” does not appear in the NVIDIA Control Panel connect your external display(s) to different port(s). If the menu still does not appear then there are no display outputs controlled by the NVIDIA GPU
    • Computer Displays: 2-3 displays with HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, or DVI inputs
  • i. It is important use displays with identical size, resolution, and refresh rate (Hz) for best results (while combining different size, maximum resolution, and refresh rates are supported the resulting surround configuration will be limited to the highest common timing)
    1. I.e. Combining a 4K 144 Hz display with a 1080p 60 Hz display will result in a Surround resolution with 1080p max height and 60 Hz max refresh rate.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5335/~/gettings-started-with-nvidia-surround

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Cont...v3d/To_configure_my_displays_for_Surround.htm

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nv3d/Surround_FAQ.htm