How To: Setup XP-Mode on Win 7 Basic, Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The only people who would make any use of the XP virtual machine would most likely already have the proper version. Cool to know though - I guess.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]Stupid question - Will DX9 games run faster on XP mode?[/citation]

To my knowledge DirectX isn't supported under Virtual Machines. XP Mode will have an emulated graphics driver it won't have direct access to your hardware nor will it even know what it is.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]Stupid question - Will DX9 games run faster on XP mode?[/citation]
no, windows xp mode emulate s3 trio 32/64.
I recommend VM ware for playing games in virtual PC, but windows xp mode for business applications work fine; I use windows xp to run freescale code warrior and works great.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

nope you cant game in the xp virtual environment (little to no hardware acceleration. your best bet is dual booting windows 7 and windows xp, dx9 games run faster in windows xp than they do in windows 7 (most people should have a extra copy and if not, simply look for any old computer in the trash (dumpster diving :) ) and use a cellphone cam to take a pic of the windows xp serial or buy a copy from a site like ebay, if you search you can get one for a really cheap price.

G

XP Mode isn't all it's cracked-up to be. I have a client that needed to run an older XP-compatible app: Top Producer 6i (ver 1.03a) and despite all the compatibility tweaks I've tried, it just doesn't run as seamlessly or reliably. I'll reload the machine with real XP this coming week. Buyer beware -- some XP apps will run flawlessly, others simply will not.

G

Question,
Is it possible to use an existing XP OEM CR-ROM to rebuild a working version, or use the license key of a version of XP that you already own?

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Question,Is it possible to use an existing XP OEM CR-ROM to rebuild a working version, or use the license key of a version of XP that you already own?[/citation]

If you already have a SN and CD then just install it under MS Virtual PC or VM Ware Workstation.

sonic_dumpster

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]If you already have a SN and CD then just install it under MS Virtual PC or VM Ware Workstation.[/citation]

I transferred an OEM install to a VM Ware. Had to activate. Called the man in India, I answer honestly, and he activated my virtual machine. Botton line is that so long as you are not using a license on two computers, you are fine. More than one computer then you should pay, thats it!

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I personally use VirtuaBox, which is free and works pretty nicely, although I do it for a Linux Install.
For old XP applications I rather use XP-mode because it's better integrated on the system. Indeed, I rather launch those apps as a program from the start menu than bothering to launch a Virtual Machine and then go open the program on the virtual OS. That integration is the whole point of XP-mode; I don't think Microsoft intended to build a better Virtualization soft than those already available in the market for free. If you don't need it, simply install your old Win XP on something like Vbox and you won't need to buy any expensive Win7 version.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I agree with danielgr, XP mode was made for integration and not for replacing existing solutions. It does the integration extremely well without intefering with win7. As for options, MS's virtual machine is limited but they never intended to produce a full product. You tend to get what the product is made for and not much else. This is true for all software.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Very nice to know.
Does Open GL apps have the same drivers limit?

I need to check if I need any upgrade from my graphic apps before going to W7

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
So far I haven't been able to get anything to work within XP mode. I guess I am just using it wrong. I have 7 Pro. Nothing installs into XP Mode. I have a webcam that no longer works in 7, thought it would work in XP mode, nope won't install. POS

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Stick to XP if you have a legacy computer, if not loosing 2-3 FPS in the worst case scenario inst that bad.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Interesting. Tom's, do realize that you need a licensed copy of windows to run in virtually (according to Microsoft). I assume with the tiers that support XP Mode the cost of an XP license is built in - but for the other versions with this work around, I suspect that would be the equivalent to pirating a copy of XP (unless you buy a copy - at which point I'd say use VMWare instead).

[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Question,Is it possible to use an existing XP OEM CR-ROM to rebuild a working version, or use the license key of a version of XP that you already own?[/citation]
Depends... if you are talking about an OEM license that came with a name brand computer, you are out of luck (dell, etc). I tried virtualizing a copy of a Gateway, replace the OS with linux, and then use VMWare player to reinstall the OS on the same computer. Since it is keyed to the specific hardware, it did not recognize it as the same computer due to hardware virtualization. I am sure there is a crack or work-around somewhere out there I don't know about, but I was too lazy to find it.

A regular OEM copy if uninstalled may require calling up Microsoft to activate and stating that it is only on one computer. I constantly upgrade my hardware, so I have to do this about every year or two (typically when I replace the motherboard). They ask if the copy is only on one computer, which "yes" is my answer. Further inquiries and I explain I upgrade my hardware a lot as well as wipe and reload my entire OS regularly. Of course, Acronis Workstation has reduced this (as other imaging software would also).

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I have no need of this... I dont have any software that wont run perfectly fine under either windows 7 with no changes, or by running it in xp SP3 compatibility mode.

TBH I doubt if anyone really needs this anymore except for some business users who may well be running custom built software, and dont want to pay for someone to update it.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Best bet if your using multiple OS on your machine stick with vmware it has been around for quite some time and is used in big business.
XP mode is very limited, no opengl,no dx apps/games.
Newest version of vmware can play games no problem i used it to 4 box wow.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Dam I bought w7 pro, only for windows xp mode. [/citation]
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]To run what?[/citation]

Freescale codewarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.