Question How to solve M.2 SSD not booting into Windows 10?

Apr 4, 2023
Hello,

Unfortunately for me, after many attempts I cannot boot into Windows 10. It boots on the HDD but not on the SSD.

For context: the SSD does function (read and write) and appears in windows (when booted on HDD). In bios, it shows up, but when it comes to selecting the SSD as the boot drive it only shows up if CSM is enabled (which I read should be disabled to functionally boot windows—quite paradoxical in my case).

The SSD in question is in the second M.2 slot on MOBO (first slot is inaccessible because of my CPU Cooler and GPU).

Any help would be great.

I’m not sure if it (the M.2 SSD) could be faulty in some way or if I’m missing something. Below is the list of components previously mentioned:

Motherboard: Asus Tuf X570 (latest bios)

Storage: WD Black SN770 1 TB & WD Blue 2 TB HDD

Apr 4, 2023
Im guessing Windows 10 is installed on the HDD yeah? Did you install Windows on the SSD as well and only have SSD installed during the install?
Yes. I have tried installing Windows 10 with and without HDD connected to the system. Previously, I have had the error code 0x00000e but I haven’t seen that be the case on my more recent attempts to boot.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im guessing you doing it right. You're running media creation tool on a working computer and letting it setup usb? Try another usb stick, Sandisk of around 16gb if you have one.

Csm comes into play when bios is setup for legacy support, drive using mbr format. Configuring uefi only gets you gpt. I don't think this concerns you as per your op if bios is in uefi mode.

Apr 4, 2023
Im guessing you doing it right. You're running media creation tool on a working computer and letting it setup usb? Try another usb stick, Sandisk of around 16gb if you have one.

Csm comes into play when bios is setup for legacy support, drive using mbr format. Configuring uefi only gets you gpt. I don't think this concerns you as per your op if bios is in uefi mode.
I can try. Could it be the USB? How would it impact the installation (just curious to know)?