[SOLVED] How to speed it up? SO SLOW, fresh install

ibradleyallen

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Just reinstalled win10 after forgetting my other password. HP 15-AY039WM Zapped the partition and installed win7, then did the upgrade to win10 which the laptop had, and it was amazing, all automated, set it all up. But its SO SLOW now. Open task manager, memory 85% disk 100% all the time. click Chrome? takes 2 full minutes to load. Click address bar and type, no text appears for 10+ seconds. Click X to close a tab? its 30 seconds. come on... Is there a list of typical items, services or apps to stop/remove? Or something that will diagnose why the OS runs so slow?

So are there ways to remove the unnecessary files and make it run just a bit closer to normal? its an i3 $800 laptop thats 2 years old, when new it was alot snappier than this. Ive installed NOTHING, its all whatever the windows installer put in.

Could not restore from the 8 dvd backup the cheap hp software made, started the process to manually join those files, disk 3 most files not readable at all, will sit for hours copying saying estimated time: over a day. then it gives up and says cant copy file. Other dvds work fast, files load, theyre all new, clean. but thats the 2nd problem.

Just need to find how to speed up this win10 OS, which files to disable? replace? or? thanks!

Solution
Because I didnt have a way to create the media. Long story about my computer 'stuff', moved cross country and movers stole many boxes of my best tech things. 3 rooms of computer/tech junk at home, had to leave it behind. So no 2nd pc. Had to goto the library to get files, as the 'factory restore' failed at the end, which should have put the laptop back to original. HP said its out of warranty, I argued I did THEIR restore and it failed due to bad HP software. But the only working OS media I have now is win7. Win2000 too scratched up, WinNT4.0 the puppy chewed the case/edge of the disc, same for NT 3.51 disk. Got the installer app (from a library pc) and downloaded the win10 ISO, but in a dos prompt it would not run the installer...

ibradleyallen

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Because I didnt have a way to create the media. Long story about my computer 'stuff', moved cross country and movers stole many boxes of my best tech things. 3 rooms of computer/tech junk at home, had to leave it behind. So no 2nd pc. Had to goto the library to get files, as the 'factory restore' failed at the end, which should have put the laptop back to original. HP said its out of warranty, I argued I did THEIR restore and it failed due to bad HP software. But the only working OS media I have now is win7. Win2000 too scratched up, WinNT4.0 the puppy chewed the case/edge of the disc, same for NT 3.51 disk. Got the installer app (from a library pc) and downloaded the win10 ISO, but in a dos prompt it would not run the installer to make a bootable flash stick.

Called my local Staples tech support, asked if they had one of those free Restore discs I could use? the guy had no idea what that was, no $169 for us to look at it. Or you can send it back to the manufacturer. I said Im just trying to put win10 back on it, thats what it came with. he didnt seem to know what a flash drive was saying youll have to order a disc from the manufacturer. Asked if they had a pc i could create the flash boot image? had no idea what that meant. Seen the guy there 5 years, ok moving along

So since the bootable flash wasnt an option, thought ok just put win7 I need to use my pc now. Then couldnt set the partition using the install disc, had to use dos commands to partition/copy install files to the drive, which worked. now win7 boots up, but cant see any USB, and no ethernet. Back to the library to find drivers. could only make ethernet work. Drivers not compatible with win7. even tried a BIOS update, didnt help. went back to try and make the win10 bootable flash? this time it ran, then gave me the option to install/update this laptop now, clicked YES. It loaded something, started updating and when done, was windows 10, set the password to what I used in the 90s and cant forget this time, but omg talk about slow. A full minute+ to get into task manager? 2 minutes to load Chrome, after restart?

Well a light came on, thought why not check HP to see if this automated win10 install didnt put the right drivers because I didnt have to add anything. Said BIOS was incorrect. Did the bios update? now its running ALMOST NORMAL! wow. double click chrome? 10 seconds its there. Type in text? it appears as you type, it would be blank (before) for 15 seconds then start putting what you typed.

So my answer is perhaps going back to run the HP app to look for drivers being the right version

SOLUTION TO THIS SLOW PC PROBLEM: go back to hp.com/support install their HP ASSISTANT then have it check for drivers/bios. It found the bios was wrong. Fixing that fixed this problem.

Solution