[SOLVED] How to stop CPU from overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2020
Hi, I have just recently built my PC and I noticed that whenever I play games the clockspeed went up to around 4.1. My CPU temp went up to 80-85c when gaming.
I tried setting the clock speed in the dragon center to 3600 but then it got fixed at that frequency even when its idle (if that's safe then im ok with it)
I'm using the stock cooler and I'm not planning to overclock with it.

Is there a way to set maximun clock speed at the base clock? I'm new to these things

Im using the MSI forge 100r case with stock fans

another thing is that my CPU temp sits around 50c when im not doing anything so I thought its to do with my cooling. However when I stress test it with CPU-Z my CPU sits around 73c which is ok when I googled it. I'm not sure anymore if its to do with my cooling or not.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard - x570 carbon pro

Thanks

Solution

another thing is that my CPU temp sits around 50c when im not doing anything so I thought its to do with my cooling. However when I stress test it with CPU-Z my CPU sits around 73c which is ok when I googled it. I'm not sure anymore if its to do with my cooling or not.
You might be hearing your fans ramp up and down when at idle and think your processor is overheating. It's not, it's just the way Ryzen works with these low-energy temp spikes the fans follow as the boosts happen. Because the spikes are very low energy they don't add anything to the actual thermal state of the processor.

The thing to do is set a fan curve to ignore those temperature spikes. I set mine to a flat, barely audible fan speed up to the...

You might be hearing your fans ramp up and down when at idle and think your processor is overheating. It's not, it's just the way Ryzen works with these low-energy temp spikes the fans follow as the boosts happen. Because the spikes are very low energy they don't add anything to the actual thermal state of the processor.

The thing to do is set a fan curve to ignore those temperature spikes. I set mine to a flat, barely audible fan speed up to the 65-70C range then let ramp up to about 85C before it gets really loud enough to be bothersome. Only around 90-95C is when you want to let them get to the screaming state.

Reactions: Sagielder
Solution
Apr 26, 2020
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - Specifications

That processor is fine up to 95°C. Boost clock is up to 4.2GHz. Not understanding why you would prefer to limit the performance when it's within system tolerance. If you're that worried about cooling, I'd opt for a better cooler than the stock one.

-Wolf sends

I looked up ideal CPU temp while gaming on internet and it says that temp shouldn't exceed 80c.

Will it shorten my CPU lifespan? if that's ok for my CPU then ill just let it run at 4.2 GHz. Thanks

Apr 26, 2020

The thing to do is set a fan curve to ignore those temperature spikes. I set mine to a flat, barely audible fan speed up to the 65-70C range then let ramp up to about 85C before it gets really loud enough to be bothersome. Only around 90-95C is when you want to let them get to the screaming state.

So 50c at idle is normal for my CPU?

So 50c at idle is normal for my CPU?
Perfectly normal on the stock fan. and perfectly safe too!

The reason you don't want it to exceed 80C is because that's where it starts lowering clock speeds at a higher rate. So that's where better cooling pays off as by keeping temps in the 70's you can keep the clock speed from lowering to it's base clock in heavy processing as temperature gets into the upper 80's or low 90's. It's not because it's unsafe; just keep multiplier and voltage in auto and the processor will keep itself safe.

Reactions: Sagielder
Apr 26, 2020
Perfectly normal on the stock fan. and perfectly safe too!

The reason you don't want it to exceed 80C is because that's where it starts lowering clock speeds at a higher rate. So that's where better cooling pays off as by keeping temps in the 70's you can keep the clock speed from lowering to it's base clock in heavy processing as temperature gets into the upper 80's or low 90's. It's not because it's unsafe; just keep multiplier and voltage in auto and the processor will keep itself safe.

That helps alot. Thanks
I just played PUBG and it went to 90c should I buy extra fan?(My fps was still good) . If so should I upgrade my CPU fan or just add extra case fan

Status
Not open for further replies.