How to switch to Administrator in XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I set up / installed XP Home I never set up users and / or administrators. I just
started using it. When I went to the Windows update site it says I have to be logged on
as Administrator. How do I do that ??

http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:n92kg15qdamgeatf70a30rpe1ukahv3eev@4ax.com,
whayface <whayface7540722@yahoo.junk.com> had this to say:

> When I set up / installed XP Home I never set up users and / or
> administrators. I just started using it. When I went to the Windows
> update site it says I have to be logged on as Administrator. How do
> I do that ??
>

> http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/

It's only available as an option for Safe Mode...

Safe Mode :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/safemode.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Malke

whayface wrote:

> When I set up / installed XP Home I never set up users and / or
> administrators. I just
> started using it. When I went to the Windows update site it says I
> have to be logged on
> as Administrator. How do I do that ??

That doesn't mean you have to be logged in with the built-in
Administrator account. As you've been told, with XP Home you can only
get to that account in Safe Mode which you don't need to do to get
Windows Updates. You only need to be logged in to an account with
Administrative privileges. Go to the User Accounts applet and you will
see your user account. Is it "Computer Administrator"? If it is and it
is not Limited, then that account has all the privileges it needs for
Windows Update.

You might want to post your question in the newsgroup set up
specifically for Windows Update problems:

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:24:24 GMT, whayface
<whayface7540722@yahoo.junk.com> wrote:

> When I set up / installed XP Home I never set up users and / or administrators. I just
> started using it. When I went to the Windows update site it says I have to be logged on
> as Administrator. How do I do that ??
>

> http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/

When you installed XP Home, during the installation process, you were
asked to enter a password. This was for the Administrator account.

Just log off, then log on, and enter "Administrator" as the username,
and the password you entered when you first installed XP home.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order