Question How to take Windows 10 Desktop system image and restore on laptop

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
I'm wondering if I can take my windows 10 system image and install it on my laptop using macrium reflect 8? My desktop is a ryzen 9 computer with my laptop being an intel i5 (ASUS TUF fx505gt). The steps I've done currently:

1.) I've created an image backup of my desktop win 10 system using macrium reflect 8
2.) I've created macrium reflect boot media for a win10 reboot
3.) I've downloaded all the drivers listed for my Asus laptop and placed the drivers on the same external hard disk that I saved my image backup to - https://www.asus.com/supportonly/fx505gt/helpdesk_download/
4.) Tried doing a redeploy from the macrium reflect menu option upon rebooting with rescue media but nothing ended up happening so I figured I would ask here before trying again

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Basically, you don't.

Ryzen desktop to Intel laptop.
A Windows install is not that modular, even with Macrium ReDeploy.

Why not just install the relevant applications on the laptop?
It came with its own OS, correct?

Ya, it has one. It's been acting up lately though and don't really have a backup for the laptop so just figured it would be less work to just take what I have installed on my desktop and restore it on the laptop (so it has all the windows settings and everything I've set). So ya if it's really not possible then I'll just reinstall win10 and install relevant apps.

USAFRet

Titan
Ya, it has one. It's been acting up lately though and don't really have a backup for the laptop so just figured it would be less work to just take what I have installed on my desktop and restore it on the laptop (so it has all the windows settings and everything I've set). So ya if it's really not possible then I'll just reinstall win10 and install relevant apps.
As much as we'd all like it to be, Windows is just not that modular.

Once you get the laptop up and running, all drivers and Windows updates current, and all your basic applications installed, create a full drive Image with Macrium.
Save that off on some external drive.

A year from now, if the laptop goes south again...you have that Image ready to go.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
As much as we'd all like it to be, Windows is just not that modular.

Once you get the laptop up and running, all drivers and Windows updates current, and all your basic applications installed, create a full drive Image with Macrium.
Save that off on some external drive.

A year from now, if the laptop goes south again...you have that Image ready to go.

Ya, probably the smart thing to do. Thanks