[SOLVED] How to test storage capacity of 16TB SSD drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 21, 2022
I purchased a "High speed 16TB SSD drive" from Walmart's website. I suspect that it is a fake, but need to know how I can test its capacity to see if it will actually hold 16TB of data.

Reactions: viktorhun
Solution
Here are some more links:
That said, the trial version will probably fill up the drive way before its "rated" capacity.
Alternatively, just pop open the plastic enclosure, there is like a USB or MicroSD card inside you can physically identify.
Jun 21, 2022
Just to follow up with my test results....

I used the Java-based program, Quick Disk Test 1.30 to test the drive:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/filereadtest/files/quickdisktest/QuickDiskTest-1.30.jar/download

I selected the option to fill 50% of free space. When it finished about 6 days later, I clicked on "Start verifying" and got this error message:

"Error reading from file "H:\QuickDiskTestGeneratedData\TestDataFile05469": Header not found." TestDataFile05469 is the last file that was "written" to the drive.

The test files are 1 GB each, so I used LTF (Large Text File) Viewer 5.2u to view the file contents.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Large-Text-File-Viewer.shtml

I was able to see data up through file TestDataFile00041. This seems to indicate that 41GB was available for data, but no more. Interesting that this is only 10% of what was advertised.

Needless to say, I will be asking for a refund.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
strange capacity. Wouldn't trust it with anything as windows thinks its way bigger and trim is likely to try to put memory into parts that don't exist, due to trying to keep wearage of the space even.

WE knew it was fake. we didn't know how fake. So well done on at least testing it.

TRENDING THREADS