Question How to troublshoot FireWire on Ubuntu 18.04 that crapped out

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I had been using FireWire on an Ubuntu 16.04 machine to control channel changes on a cable set-top-box. It worked fine for years, then suddenly stopped working. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and it is still not working. lspci shows the device is there:
Code:
06:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
sudo plugreport gives:
Code:
Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x00e6bc100000241d
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
If memory serves me, when my setup was working there was a Node 1 where the cable box actually lived.

Searching around on this error led me to an old thread in a redhat bug tracker that says it's a problem with the OS not chowning the firewire device on boot up. When I check permissions on /dev/fw0 I get:
Code:
crw------- 1 root root 241, 0 Jul 27 18:31 fw0
That matches what is in the bug report, though I never checked this permission when I had a working system so I don't know if this is really a problem. Also I am on Ubuntu rather than Fedora. Also TBH don't get why the OS would need to chown a device on startup, so I don' t know if this is relevant.

Can anyone advise how to troubleshoot this, or have any guesses what the problem could be?

cormanaz

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I'm fortunate enough to have another Ubuntu box, so I ordered an inexpensive PCI-E firewire card for it, which allowed me to test. On the test box plugreport showed the set-top-box. The card came with a full-size to mini-size firewire cable, which I connected to the other 1394 socket on my original machine, and voila, plugreport on that machine showed the set-top-box. So it seems that either the mini-size socket on my original machine went bad, or the mini-to-mini cable went bad. I have no idea how that can happen to things sitting there undisturbed, but there you have it. So this is SOLVED.

UPDATE: not solved. After 24 hours it reverted to the original situation...plugreport shows a node 0 that it can't access (normal) not not a node 1 with the cable box. Bizarre. I have no idea what is going on.

Last edited: