Question How to underclock R9 280 safely to prevent artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi there folks,

Today my worst fear has happened, full screen vertical lines (artifacting) and both screens turning off. And I need help diagnosting this issue.

I have an ASUS R9 280 DirectCU II TOP 3GB and sadly when I search the internet, this gpu series (R9 280, 280x, 290) seems the culprit of for the 80% of the vertical line buzz sound topics

It was working fine until today, I was in a gaming session for 3 hours, then all of a sudden my computer freezes, after a few seconds both of my displays shows some vertical lines one of them are yellow with dark background, other is blue with black background. And makes a distinctive buzzing noise. Then I have to hard reset my computer by power button.

As of right now I can surf the web and watch HD videos etc but whenever I try to play a game, same thing happens.

No overclocks, running on factory settings since the day I've bought it.

Is my gpu chip dead? or can I save it somehow?
I've heard that underclocking works for certain cards. How is that working actually?

The lines look very much like this image . https://prnt.sc/uf6zae

FULL SPECS :

OS
: Windows 10 Version 1909
MB : MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GPU : ASUS R9 280 DirectCU II TOP 3GB GDDR5 384Bit
DRIVES :
XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.3 512GB
2TB WD 7200rpm HDD --->>> mostly all the games are in this drive
1TB WD 7200rpm HDD
CPU : Ryzen 5 1600
RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200MHz
PSU : Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 80+ Gold 650W
Two monitors at 60Hz
5 Case Fans
Corsair H60 Liquid cooler

Last edited by a moderator:

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Don't bump threads!!

Did you try underclocking?

Well I'm sorry what do you want me to do, open a new thread? I reply once every 24 hours, not 24 minutes. Without a reply, it quickly goes down to 3rd page desert you know, nobody's looking for new topics in 3rd page.

On the other hand, I cant just simply drag left -50 core clock and hit apply, MSI Afterburner just ignores it. Nothing changes when I try to underclock memory or core speeds, I guess there's a multiplier that I should be following maybe?

Well I'm sorry what do you want me to do, open a new thread? I reply once every 24 hours, not 24 minutes. Without a reply, it quickly goes down to 3rd page desert you know, nobody's looking for new topics in 3rd page.

On the other hand, I cant just simply drag left -50 core clock and hit apply, MSI Afterburner just ignores it. Nothing changes when I try to underclock memory or core speeds, I guess there's a multiplier that I should be following maybe?
Thread bumping is NOT permitted in the forums for ANY reason. The only exeption being the classifieds, where it is restricted to once every 24hr. Please adhere to this rule.

And, for the record, anything other than adding legitimate content is considered bumping.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Thread bumping is NOT permitted in the forums for ANY reason. The only exeption being the classifieds, where it is restricted to once every 24hr. Please adhere to this rule.

And, for the record, anything other than adding legitimate content is considered bumping.

Gotcha.

Could you please edit the topic's question to "How to underclock R9 280 safely to prevent artifacts"

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS