News How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 11 or 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Or, you could just keep it and use it in the case of an emergency. Want to download Chrome? Use Edge (Or, even, IE11).

I SERIOUSLY suggest that no-one removes Edge. It's hardly an issue when it comes to storage etc. Heck, if you're that worried about resources, look into which services you can set to manual or disabled. I use IE11, Edge and Opera.

Concur with above!

There are really zero reasons for completely removing Edge, or suggesting it as some sort of 'tech tip'; if your current browser suddenly bites the bullet with a bug/update-induced compatibility issue, do you really want to be in a 'I can't connect to anything!' state, with no browser at all, and, now no way to resolve it?

(Lots of download links specifically attempt to open Edge vice the currently used browser for whatever reason)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1353997

"How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 11 or 10"
Don't.

Just set your favorite browser as the default and unpin Edge from your taskbar, desktop, or start menu.
There is no need to mess with your system and run the risk of breaking apps that happen to be web-based, but don't include their own web engine (like how Steam used to rely on IE before switching to WebKit).
Not to mention the mess you'll be in if your browser of choice ever stops working. Good luck redownloading the installer without a functioning browser.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
This is stupid. Don't uninstall Edge. It's not hurting anything by being there. It's integrated into Windows and you may run into issues if you uninstall it. I don't think you should uninstall anything using the method shown here. Maybe Tom's Hardware should stick to hardware.

maik80

Commendable
May 21, 2021
Congratulations for the tip, the Edge consumes ram disabled, I'm going to remove this uselessness from my system

Colif

Win 11 Master
Unless they change it before release, making anything default in win 11 is a pain right now. No simple way like in 10. No one button replace default choice yet. They don't want to make it easy to replace Edge

40mb is hardly massive, I doubt you notice its there or not there. It is likely that isn't total usage, just what it shows.

removing it is likely easier than replacing it is.

hannibal

Distinguished
The funny thing is that Edge has now been rock solid and Chrome has cause reliability problems even they both use same base engine…
Lets see how long it remains to be so, but just now edge does have edge over Chrome… i was more than surpriced to find that out.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Want to uninstall the fastest benchmarked Windows browser? We'll write an article for you. I personally use FireFox but keep edge for website compatibility issues. It's running on chromium now so it would render the same as chrome. But every benchmark I've seen over the last year or two has shown the new edge browser to be at the top. No reason not to use it.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
The funny thing is that Edge has now been rock solid and Chrome has cause reliability problems even they both use same base engine…
Lets see how long it remains to be so, but just now edge does have edge over Chrome… i was more than surpriced to find that out.

I'm with you for this one. I use Edge as my daily go-to browser, and have been for years. Started back when I first installed Windows 10, then a pressing work-related stuff came knocking. It was so urgent I didn't have time to install another browser (Firefox was my choice back then), I logged in to my accounts using Edge and began days of intensive balls to the walls work. When it was done I already set up so much thing on Edge I was too lazy to install another browser, I told myself "I'll install firefox tomorrow" but ended up simply using Edge as it's competent enough for my needs.

It seems to be lighter too than Chrome or Firefox, so that's a bonus. I still have Firefox as a backup though, sometimes sites just don't work well with Edge for some reason

Reactions: Remeca

Colif

Win 11 Master
I seem to use everything apart from Edge. I normally used Chrome since its on my phone as well and just made it easier. I then found an odd bug in Youtube and decided to swap to FIrefox in the last few weeks to try to avoid bug. It happens in FIrefox as well so I assume its Youtube now. And I probably get problem in any browser so I could swap back but I am getting used to FF again.

Unless windows 11 makes it easier to swap defaults (the choose app choice currently doesn't exist, YOu can't just choose a list of browsers to set, you have to do it by file type) more people will get used to it unless they find this article first and remove edge and have no way to replace it.

only way I have diffreent defaults now is cause I updated from 10. I hope they add that choice as I really don't like not being able to set a default myself. I assume there is a way to do it via a batch file.

Sep 7, 2021
I respect all the people that say don't do it--but my computer is mine, I'm entitled to remove edge if I want to. For all those that want a batch file (because its simpler)

no need to look up the version. that's a pain. just run this.
script will :
-- only run as administrator
-- work on any version of edge as long as the setup.exe exists
-- will communicate when it starts the uninstaller, finishes OR did not run

use at your own risk, there are no backups or undos. do your own.

Code:
@echo off
REM save code as kill-edge.bat form notepad; then close file, right and run as administrator.
net session >nul 2>&1
if errorlevel 1 echo this script must be run as administrator&pause&exit
set "noop=1"&for /f "tokens=4,*" %%a in ('dir ^/ad "%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application"') do if exist "%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\%%b\Installer\setup.exe" echo Begin uninstall&cd "%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\%%b\Installer"&setup --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level&echo uninstall finished&set "noop=0"
if "%noop%" equ "1" echo.&echo error: microsoft edge setup tool not found.&echo no changes made, exiting&echo.
pause

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
If you dislike Edge enough to banish it entirely from your system, there's a way to uninstall it.

How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 11 or 10 : Read more
That just feels extraordinarly satisfying, just like squeezing a really big fat ugly pimple that's been bothering you for ages...

On a personal computer there can only be one person in charge, the owner. If that turns out to be an iSlave, that's fine, they get themselves indentured of their own free will.

But this creeping and slavish copying of all-things-[bad-]Apple on PCs needs to be exorcised completely: Neither software nor hardware purchases may constrain owner choice, every bundled app needs to be an optional install, all data feeds need to be off by default.

martib

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
I'm wondering if removing Edge will prevent the ads to make it the default browser, purchase 375 or whatever it is called and virtually take over my computer I'm suspicious this invasion is what has mucked up my log-in creating temporary accounts and the loss of my files. I HATE it and Microsoft.

Jun 27, 2022
noi no no .
this is painful to watch .
i should not have software - stuffed down my throat ...4
specially when MS and ID have a LONG LONG LONG LONG..ETC
history of suoper hardcore security probnlems..

i am ( close ... likely )not only getting rid of EDGE
but ditching windows altogether ...

i doint need this BS in my life ..
just let me choose what i want to installk onn what i thougtt
is my conputer ,.,...
mybey William thinks it is his computer ,, prolly does ....

i tent to type when i get argry at aklll this stuff

Videogamer555

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
If you dislike Edge enough to banish it entirely from your system, there's a way to uninstall it.

How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 11 or 10 : Read more

As of right now (March 19, 2023) this doesn't work anymore. I have a Windows 10 PC, but the instructions provided in the articles here don't work.
I've read both articles on the topic:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-microsoft-edge-windows-10 (this is from a different website)
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/uninstall-microsoft-edge-windows-11

They both give basically the same instructions, including the exact same command line, which
They both say to use the command prompt (cmd) in administrator mode, change the directory to the location where setup.exe is for Edge, and then use the command
"setup.exe --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level"
One says to use "setup" and the other "setup.exe" but since only one file in the Edge installer folder has the name setup, both commands do the same thing. Unfortunately, as of the current time, the thing that they do is NOTHING.

Yep, they don't perform any uninstall. MS realized there was a workaround going around on tech help forums, and it seems they have intentionally patched this out of the setup.exe file so it CANNOT be used to uninstall edge! Anybody here have a workaround? Or is the only thing to do the brute force option (remove all the Edge files and folders you can find in Windows Explorer, and then go into Regedit and try to find and remove all references to Edge, and if those references use GUIDs, then recursively find all GUIDs associated with it or with previously found GUIDs, until every last part of Edge is permanently removed from both the registery and the file system)?

Status
Not open for further replies.