[SOLVED] How to unplug displayport

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
No reason why you shouldn't have 144Hz at all with the dvi or dp-dp cable that's already there.
Why are you trying to get a dp-hdmi to work when you already have 2 working solutions?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm confused. According to the pictures, it looks like it's a R9 280X/290/290X gpu which has 2x dual link dvi, hdmi and dp ports.

The asus vg248qe has dual link dvi, hdmi and dp ports.

According to the pictures, there's a dvi/dvi cable already connected, and a dp/dp cable connected.

Why are you messing with hdmi?

Reactions: boju
Aug 16, 2019
I'm confused. According to the pictures, it looks like it's a R9 280X/290/290X gpu which has 2x dual link dvi, hdmi and dp ports.

According to the pictures, there's a dvi/dvi cable already connected, and a dp/dp cable connected.

Well apparently the cable that connected to dp on the monitor and on the computer is dp to hdmi instead of dp to dp which is what i should have bought.
what do you mean by messing with hdmi ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your pictures show the monitor is already connected by dvi and dp, why are you trying to swap a dp/dp to dp/hdmi?

Both the gpu and the monitor have open hdmi ports, and populated dvi and dp ports.

The hdmi 1.4a only barely is good enough for 1080p at 144Hz, you'd be better off with hdmi 2.0 on both. As is, both dp and dvi-d dual link are better than hdmi 1.4a, but only in ability. For a 1080p monitor there's no difference between the 3 at 144Hz.

Correction : on boot up, dvi does not require a handshake, hdmi and dp does, so hdmi/dp takes far longer for the signal to activate the auto-on sequence of the monitor. Dvi will pop-up first.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019
Your pictures show the monitor is already connected by dvi and dp, why are you trying to swap a dp/dp to dp/hdmi?

Both the gpu and the monitor have open hdmi ports, and populated dvi and dp ports.

The hdmi 1.4a only barely is good enough for 1080p at 144Hz, you'd be better off with hdmi 2.0 on both. As is, both dp and dvi-d dual link are better than hdmi 1.4a, but only in ability. For a 1080p monitor there's no difference between the 3 at 144Hz.

Correction : on boot up, dvi does not require a handshake, hdmi and dp does, so hdmi/dp takes far longer for the signal to activate the auto-on sequence of the monitor. Dvi will pop-up first.
I see, but are you sure that my vg248qe monitor supports HDMI 2.0 ?
because quick search online says that this monitor doesn't supports this, only 1.4 hdmi.
and if that so, what would you recommend ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What is it you want from your monitor? DVI should already give you the most out of it. Says on the website in order to achieve 144Hz either Displayport or DVI DL is used.

Hdmi 1.4 or 2 can do 144Hz at 1080p if Asus allowed it but not with this monitor and it doesn't have Hdmi2 and don't think your gpu has either.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would be helpful if OP explains what they really want from the monitor. They reckon DP will do something better, but what exactly better that DVI can't do already on this monitor?

200 series didn't release with Hdmi2 so yeah, wouldn't be this.

They've used completely the wrong cable for whatever it is they're trying to do. Not only that, but the adapter cable can't even be used in that direction as said already.

The squarish shape of the vacant port on the gpu looks like DP. If OP want's 144Hz and not getting it with DVI then there too they're using the wrong type of DVI cable. Won't know what this is all about until they share. Has he shared? I don't see any hints.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I looked up both gpu (all 3 280x/290/290X are the same) and monitor. If you zoom in, it's hdmi unpopulated, corresponding to same port on websites. But. That definitely looks like a dvi-i port on top, with the 4x analog pins, not a dvi-d dual link. So he could have an off-brand cheapo card that'll sometimes do that, but the bottom port should still be dvi-d dual link. Wrong cable a possibility, Op hasn't said if he's not getting 144Hz, just that dp is supposedly better. It's a mess.

Aug 16, 2019
Just to answers all your questions and wanderings: dp to hdmi cable is connected because the guy in the store that sold me that monitor said its the cable i should connect, that all , this is why i got the wrong cable connected lol.
i checked in this site: https://www.testufo.com
and this is the results:
Refresh
Rate
60 Hz
so no 144Hz yet

Aug 16, 2019
No reason why you shouldn't have 144Hz at all with the dvi or dp-dp cable that's already there.
Why are you trying to get a dp-hdmi to work when you already have 2 working solutions?

Thanks! i used this guide and it did the job!
also, i finally managed to disconnect the dp to hdmi cable from the computer and the monitor

TRENDING THREADS