How to update a 760GM-P21 (FX) motherboard bios?

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
So, I want to upgrade to an FX-6300 but my motherboard requires a new BIOS for that cpu. I downloaded the BIOS that adds support for that CPU from MSI's website, unzipped it, and found something strange compared to other tutorials online. There is no README file, and there is an .exe file and the HB0 file, which I assume is the BIOS file. Can someone lead me trough the process, please?

Solution

Find one used if you can for cheaper or a used 8310 if within budget. Also follow the guide I posted above, it shows a few different ways of upgrading the BIOS. I would use a cellphone to take pics of the directions that your going to use and follow those as you update the BIOS as it should make it easier. If you run into issues post back and I'll try to help you...

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018

As I have said in other threads, I don't have much money, being an unemployed teenager. Right now, in Romania, the cheapest new FX-6300 is 63$. Most I could spend is about 100$, and I know I'm not getting any new motherboard for roughly 40$. Can't upgrade my mobo until next year when I'll be able to get a job.

WildCard999

Titan

Find one used if you can for cheaper or a used 8310 if within budget. Also follow the guide I posted above, it shows a few different ways of upgrading the BIOS. I would use a cellphone to take pics of the directions that your going to use and follow those as you update the BIOS as it should make it easier. If you run into issues post back and I'll try to help you out further.

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Put all you downloaded onto a USB Thumb Drive

Reboot into BIOS "F2 or Delete"
Find and Turn on M FLash It's under BIOS update.
Locate the HMO file from the Thumb drive and hit enter.
That is pretty much it.
Save and Reboot your machine.

Just a warning though don't overclock a 6XXX chip on a 760 chipset or things will get unstable. You can find an 8350 with a 990FX Chipset Combo here which is a much better option for $120.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fx8350-990fx-extreme9-combo-multiple-ddr3-kits.247287/

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018

Don't I need to make the USB bootable?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

No your booting into BIOS not into a OS, The thumb drive doesn't need to be bootable.