[SOLVED] How to use anti-static wrist band when working with a laptop?

Feb 9, 2021
I live in a dry place with fur carpets, and even a daily trip to the fridge or sink generates a major shock when I touch it. I will soon need to disassemble a laptop and I'm worried about damaging something when I'm carrying this much static charge on the daily. I bought an anti-static wrist band but I don't know what I can attach it to, can someone give advice on what I can do to properly ground myself before disassembling?

Solution
Ground nothing. Static electricity is a discharge of difference in built up voltages. The purpose of the strap is not grounding, but equalizing whatever charge you have to whatever you touch. The very last thing you want is an electrical pathway for your charge to pass through the laptop to ground. That's how electronics get fried.

Place the laptop on a chunk of cardboard, attach the strap to you and the cardboard. That'll equalize the fields, without passing through or channeling the built up charges.

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a dry place with fur carpets, and even a daily trip to the fridge or sink generates a major shock when I touch it. I will soon need to disassemble a laptop and I'm worried about damaging something when I'm carrying this much static charge on the daily. I bought an anti-static wrist band but I don't know what I can attach it to, can someone give advice on what I can do to properly ground myself before disassembling?
You might want to get an anti-stat kit that has a conductive mat. You ground the mat and then connect your wrist strap to the mat.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ground nothing. Static electricity is a discharge of difference in built up voltages. The purpose of the strap is not grounding, but equalizing whatever charge you have to whatever you touch. The very last thing you want is an electrical pathway for your charge to pass through the laptop to ground. That's how electronics get fried.

Place the laptop on a chunk of cardboard, attach the strap to you and the cardboard. That'll equalize the fields, without passing through or channeling the built up charges.

Solution