[SOLVED] How to use Home theater in PC with HDMI

Himanshu Panchal

Honorable
May 5, 2017
I'm having a Home theater Which support 5.1 Surround Sound It has different options and if I want to use 5.1 surround I have to use HDMI. So My question is how can I use that home theater in my pc using HDMI so I can get 5.1 Surround now I'm using it via 3.5mm Jack and it produce stereo sound as expected. I really want it to produce 5.1 surround please provide me a solution for this and also tell me how TVs are able to produce sound via HDMI and why can't PC

Solution
I would like to point out that normal system sounds, most browser media and such will not be in surround. Most of the media that you can listen to in (specifically) Dolby are going to be app based. Some games support various surround modes as well. By and large if you are looking for full time surround, pick a virtual mode that you like in the receiver of your choice.

Ralston18

Titan
That would be quite a bit to cover. Many details and many questions.

Start here:

https://guides.brit.co/guides/set-up-a-basic-51-home-theater-system/particle-1

Also google words and phrases such as "how to setup home audio 5.1 HDMI" for additional links.

There are even some videos but be cautious about how they do things. May not be fully applicable to your hardware and requirements.

As you read and learn sketch out your audio layout and plan the necessary connections.

Just a simple sketch. Does not need to be a work of art. Idea being to just see the big picture.

Doing that will help you understand what needs to be done and likely raise more specific questions.

Likely there will be some trade-offs and you will need to decide what choice(s) are applicable or most fitted to your requirements.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would like to point out that normal system sounds, most browser media and such will not be in surround. Most of the media that you can listen to in (specifically) Dolby are going to be app based. Some games support various surround modes as well. By and large if you are looking for full time surround, pick a virtual mode that you like in the receiver of your choice.

Solution