[SOLVED] How to use old external as internal hard drive

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
I have an old 2T external hard drive (Seagate) that i want to use as an internal hard drive. Can someone help me with this, but PLEASE be as descriptive as possible , cause i'm not any were near as smart as you tech savvy member's .

Thanks and stay safe out there . ;)

Solution
yes there is . i have a bunch of <personal data, Mod edit>i want to keep . i recently got a new external hard drive (3TB) for my new PC , so what do you advise me to do first . shuld i connect the old exturnal and copy or move it to the new exturnal hard drive , or just leave it on .
Copy whatever is on there to some other storage space.
Break open the case.
Hopefully, that will expose the drive and probably regular SATA connections.
Connect it internally in your PC.
Maybe the data will be directly readable, maybe not.
If not, Disk Management, delete all partitions, and reformat. (this is why we copied the data elsewhere first)

USAFRet

Titan
what do you mean by that???? the box it can in says seagate at the top , and lower on the box it 's called FreeAgent GoFlex Desk external drive.
OK, yes. A Seagate FreeAgent.

Like this?

Question:
Is there currently data on it that you wish to keep through this transition?

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
yes there is . i have a bunch of <personal data, Mod edit>i want to keep . i recently got a new external hard drive (3TB) for my new PC , so what do you advise me to do first . shuld i connect the old exturnal and copy or move it to the new exturnal hard drive , or just leave it on .

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
Break open the case.
If not, Disk Management, delete all partitions, and reformat. (this is why we copied the data elsewhere first)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Break open the case.

:oops::oops::oops:o_O:oops::oops::confused_old: ok so your saying step one is to connect the OLD exturnal hsrd drive to the PC . and then should i COPY or MOVE (wich one is faster?)

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
frist off THANK YOU SO MUCH 👏👏👏 for the details .......ok i think i got this , going t go and do this and after i will get back to you.......for step 2.

thanks and see you soon.

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
so i'm done moving my movie files from the old external hard drive to the new external hard drive . so now what should i do???? also can you tell me is it better for my to use (for the external hard drive )the USB connections on the front of my PC or the ones on the back?

OK , the drive's are doing there thing & it look's like it's going to take 8 or ???? hour. i'll waste till after it done to get back to you .......... have s good one
bignastyid

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
ok i'm back and done with copying my music from old external to the new external drive. so now that im done copying my music and my movies from the old external can i or should i delete them from the old drive???

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
also there are 2 files that put on the old exturnal drive , (guess that they wer put on when i frist got my new PC and i hook up the old exturnal and back it up) what should i do with them???

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
i think they are from when i just got my new PC , and i hook up the old external hard drive and it did it's thing and backed up the new PC. the frist One it's compressed folder and it says its a Configuration,Data

And the second is also a compressed folder And is also from when i frist hook up the new PC to the external hard drive it has a few things in it 1.compressed folder it says it has Config.Msi,RM,SWSetup,Users.
the 2nd thing JIM File
the 3rd thing Microsoft Access Add-in
the 4th thing LBT file
the 5th thing DB3 file
the 6th thing XML document . and also has the Seagate launcher that came with the Old exturnal hard drive

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
That sounds to me like it made a back up of your o.s. (Possibly with the Seagate software) If your going to use this as a back up drive then everything is o.k. If not.... then set your windows 10 to back up on the new WD 3tb drive and you can format this Seagate drive after you create a fresh back up on your new drive. You can install this 2tb Seagate in your pc now and format it from there, be positively sure your going to format the 2tb Seagate drive and not anything else you may have in there.
The WD 3tb drive should have software from WD also to aid in making back ups

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
yes it is set up to back up on the WD 3tb windows software controls it to do the back up, i'm back it up now. and yes i do want to install it in to my PC as storage or what ever