How to use PC while lying down

Status
Not open for further replies.

atinesh229

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I have some disability problem that restricts me from using the laptop while sitting. The only comfortable posture for me is to lie down and use it. But for me, It is very difficult to use a laptop while lying down on the bed. I purchased a Table like this and tried folding in all possible positions I could, But it didn't work and at extreme slant angle it started ruining my laptop.

I think a PC setup would be more beneficial. Can anyone suggest me Is it possible to setup PC so that I can use it while lying down on the bed and what would be the pros and cons of doing that.

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015
you can setup a system like that.
but using mouse and keyboard in this postion would be very inconvinint and exahausting to your hands.
for what purpose you want to use pc?

Sedivy

Estimable
Can you lie down on your front? Do you have to be lying backward?
If you can lie on front, a decent size/shape pillow under your upper chest and a laptop in front of you is doable for a certain length of time but can be killer on your lower back. The lower your front/pillow is, the less issue this is, but the harder it is to easily type.

atinesh229

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

I can not lie down on the front, only on my back. I can use a pillow, But I have observed that using it for a long time is not so comfortable for me.

Sedivy

Estimable
Yeah, I've tried this with laptops and can tell you that lying back completely is only doable for a short time. Anything that makes you keep your hands up while the rest of the body is lying down is problematic.

Mounting the screen wouldn't be a problem (http://www.pbcentral.com/columns/hildreth_moore/beddesks.shtml), but say it's a laptop, you could maybe plug in an external keyboard and mouse, then run a mouse to one hand lying on the bed, and the keyboard flat on the bed, underneath your left hand. You wouldn't see your hand typing so you'd have to type by feel and get used to typing like this, one handed. Or one of those gaming keypads. Something like :
https://www.amazon.com/one-handed-keyboards/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aone%20handed%20keyboards

ExoticAzule

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
You can lay forward, head facing ground and put the laptop in front of you and use your elbows as supports, it might hurt a bit but that's all I got.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
how is watching tv? perhaps using a nice big tv as a monitor would make it easier to lay comfortably. then a wireless mouse would do the trick.

i would also suggest something like Dragon Speak software https://www.nuance.com/dragon.html

this let's you talk to the pc through a headset instead of typing as much. wireless mouse is easy to use however it's comfy so no worry there.

i did this myself years ago when i also found myself lying in bed most of the day. this was what worked for me. nice big tv and dragon speak. i was able to do most what i needed. and i used the onscreen keyboard when i had to. i rarely used a physical keyboard while lying down as it was difficult to do as you've no doubt noticed. could move the mouse on the keyboard quickly as i got used to it.

dragon speak was new then (15 years ago) and has come a long way and works very well now. i used it for my special ed kids as a teacher to help those with writing and dexterity issues and it literally changed the world for them. the software is that good.

atinesh229

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

To do my research work read PDF Files, Coding, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.