News How to Use SSH to Connect to Remote Computers Using Windows, Linux or macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I'm wondering why you used the built in tools for Linux and MacOS but did not use PowerShell for Windows. Simply open a PowerShell Window and type "ssh user@ipaddress" no need to install a 3rd Party Application. Is Putty a nice option yes but it just seems inconsistent with the rest of the choices.

Reactions: HappyColoredMarbles

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I also have been using WSL along with the Terminal app on Windows for many years now. SSH is there ready to go to connect to my home linux server when needed. Although good to know that PowerShell has SSH built in as well. But I've never really gotten into using PowerShell much. I use old school command line for actual Windows (DOS) stuff and WSL for everything else.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Weird they didn’t even touch on cert based auth. SSH is handy for sure, but this article is seriously lacking in some basic security instructions. It’s like telling people you can getting remote access to your home windows box by port forwarding the rpd port from your firewall. Eventually it’s going to get hacked.

Jul 4, 2022
Weird they didn’t even touch on cert based auth. SSH is handy for sure, but this article is seriously lacking in some basic security instructions. It’s like telling people you can getting remote access to your home windows box by port forwarding the rpd port from your firewall. Eventually it’s going to get hacked.
Agreed, at least puttygen, if putty already mentioned in article

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
PuTTY is also available for Linux.

Please stop perpetuating the myth that Linux is unusable unless everything is done on the command line. This isn't the 1990's anymore.

putty.png

Reactions: HappyColoredMarbles
Aug 20, 2023
I think the coolest thing about SSH is the simple code. SSHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Remember: pirates stole America from the Indians. And you must steal money from the top 1%.

Aug 20, 2023
I'm wondering why you used the built in tools for Linux and MacOS but did not use PowerShell for Windows. Simply open a PowerShell Window and type "ssh user@ipaddress" no need to install a 3rd Party Application. Is Putty a nice option yes but it just seems inconsistent with the rest of the choices.
Today I learned for MacOS to Linux, there are some additional preliminary rudimentary steps to further encrypt. It's ingenious but quite frustrating.

Aug 20, 2023
PuTTY is also available for Linux.

Please stop perpetuating the myth that Linux is unusable unless everything is done on the command line. This isn't the 1990's anymore.

putty.png
I like command line for security. But GUI is nice. Maybe once I get the basics figured out I might look for additional installations for comfort. But you have to crawl before you run. If you don't know how to work with legacy systems you run the risk of being locked out from your parents will.

Aug 20, 2023
Yes. I've been working on the application of applied entropy to my code libraries for increased security. I agree; a writer tasked with teaching children shouldn't hide the truth. I have been following my tail because of ad revenue. But part of the security of this type of transfer is the tribal knowledge base. My code library is currently valued at about $3.14159 billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.