[SOLVED] How to utilize SATA HDD using external power supply ?

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
My power supply can't handle 2 Drives ( I learned that the hard way, and by hard way I didn't look at the specifications T_T) anyway, my HDD is 500gb and 3.5"

I want to use an external power supply to power up the hard drive instead, but I also want to connect it through SATA.

I lack knowledge so I don't know what to look for but I have an alternative ready if it there's no such adapter. The one I already have uses USB so if possible help me find the thing I need to use, my brain is currently illiterate. Lol

Edit : The one I'm looking for is a DC Barrel plug to Sata power connector, I already have a 12v 2A power supply. I just need an adapter for it.

Last edited:
Solution
My pc came from an internet cafe so it's fairly worn down and I only need the product thing. Now that I think about it. I have additional questions

My question now is what part that powers a SATA HDD? Can I use a simple Power supply to [the port that powers that drive]?

CPU: Amd A4 3300
Motherboard: TA55M-L
Ram: 4gb DDR3
SSD/HDD: 320gb(boot drive), 500gb(the hard drive I want to power externally)
GPU: Amd Radeon R7 200, 240 is the exact model
PSU: I'll have to edit and look at it again
Chassis: No brand
It's powered by SATA connector from PSU. If you don't have enough SATA connectors but have some Molex connectors free, you can use an adapter, looks like this...

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
My pc came from an internet cafe so it's fairly worn down and I only need the product thing. Now that I think about it. I have additional questions

My question now is what part that powers a SATA HDD? Can I use a simple Power supply to [the port that powers that drive]?

It's powered by SATA connector from PSU. If you don't have enough SATA connectors but have some Molex connectors free, you can use an adapter, looks like this
https://www.banggood.com/SATA-Power...102-p-1754330.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=buy
Or this to split power from one SATA connector.
https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Power-Splitter-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002N2EHVQ

Solution

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
It's powered by SATA connector from PSU. If you don't have enough SATA connectors but have some Molex connectors free, you can use an adapter, looks like this
https://www.banggood.com/SATA-Power...102-p-1754330.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=buy
Or this to split power from one SATA connector.
https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Power-Splitter-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002N2EHVQ

If I remember correctly, the "hard way" I experienced was the Drive turning on and off repeatedly, Basically it's not enough power or it's just my psu acting up. That's why right now I'm looking for an adapter to power it externally.

If I remember correctly, the "hard way" I experienced was the Drive turning on and off repeatedly, Basically it's not enough power or it's just my psu acting up. That's why right now I'm looking for an adapter to power it externally.
If your PSU doesn't have enough "spare" power for another HDD, you have a bigger problem than just that. That PSU would be too weak anyway.
Yes, in theory you can supply power for it from outside power source, 12v for 3.5" and 5v for 2.5" HDDs. but that would pose other problems like making it switch on and off together with system
Something like this for instance
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284411810295?hash=item423843d1f7:g:1BoAAOSwyRJhGgVu

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
If your PSU doesn't have enough "spare" power for another HDD, you have a bigger problem than just that. That PSU would be too weak anyway.
Yes, in theory you can supply power for it from outside power source, 12v for 3.5" and 5v for 2.5" HDDs. but that would pose other problems like making it switch on and off together with system
Something like this for instance
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284411810295?hash=item423843d1f7:g:1BoAAOSwyRJhGgVu

Well, what would happen if the system were to turn off first then unplugging the power supply for the hard drive?
How important is it to turn off together with the system and what would happen if that wasn't the case?

Well, what would happen if the system were to turn off first then unplugging the power supply for the hard drive?
How important is it to turn off together with the system and what would happen if that wasn't the case?
It will most probably shut off and be inaccessible if turned off but also may screw OS up. Drives need to be powered on and accessible to BIOS when system is turned off so BIOS can check it during POST.

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
It will most probably shut off and be inaccessible if turned off but also may screw OS up. Drives need to be powered on and accessible to BIOS when system is turned off so BIOS can check it during POST.
I was thinking when powering up my PC I would plugin the power supply for the drive first then turn on the system. Will that pose a problem or will that be okay?

Also I've been allowed to buy a USB3.0 to SATA 3 adapter if there isn't an alternative. Although my system can only handle USB 2.0 and SATA 2 so a bit saddened by it.

I was thinking when powering up my PC I would plugin the power supply for the drive first then turn on the system. Will that pose a problem or will that be okay?
Yes, that would be OK but you would also have to turn it off after system is off.
I still think you are over dramatizing potential power problem and trying to make it more complicated than it should be. I have 6 disks connected to one SATA power outlet from PSU and are all daisy chained.
As I said before, if your PSU is problem change it as it will also cause other problems.

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
Yes, that would be OK but you would also have to turn it off after system is off.
I still think you are over dramatizing potential power problem and trying to make it more complicated than it should be. I have 6 disks connected to one SATA power outlet from PSU and are all daisy chained.
As I said before, if your PSU is problem change it as it will also cause other problems.
This is the only solution I can have for now, changing my psu is not possible for but I'll take your advice when the time comes.

But before I buy the usb thing, what is the product called? Sata power splitter?

This is the only solution I can have for now, changing my psu is not possible for but I'll take your advice when the time comes.

But before I buy the usb thing, what is the product called? potential?
Yes, "

But before I buy the usb thing, what is the product called? Sata power splitter?
Yes " Sata power splitter". As for USB connection, if it's 3.5" disk you need SATA to USB adapter with own power and if it's 2.5" HDD it doesn't need power,

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
molex to sata power, Relatively cheap under 1$ without shipping. I'll reply if it didn't work but If I don't reply for a long time it means It worked.

Seems like the advice was now lmao thanks for letting me know that my psu probably hasn't exceeded maximum power use.

About the psu, it has two sata power but when I tried to use The "spare" sata power was previously used for a fan. When I tried, The drive keeps beeping so I assumed it wasn't enough power.