How to verify if a CPU is faulty

Jun 28, 2018
Hello there,

I'm addressing the following issue on behalf of a friend.

Well, after a year of a steady system, all of the sudden he start getting BSODs. He tried different PSU, Hard Drive, RAM and the problem remained. He sent his MOBO to the place he bought it, they did a BIOS update and they sent it back as they claimed that it worked fine for them as he suspected the MOBO as the source of the BSODs. The BIOS update made the things even worse, he sent the MOBO back, the shop RMA'd to GA who confirmed that there's no issue with the board though they decided to trade his AORUS AX370 Gaming 5 with AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming as he waited on an update for 3 whole months.

Once he got the system ready to run with the new motherboard the blue screens remained. So the only suspect left now it's the CPU. He even tried the RAM kits on an Intel and another AM4 socket and worked fine.

How would he be able to check if his Ryzen 7 1800X suddenly decided to "die"? Is plugging the CPU on a different AM4 mobo enough or should he also try a different Ryzen CPU on his new mobo as well?

Hopefully I can get an answer over this one

Kind regards

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
CPUs are pretty robust - the likelihood of one being 'faulty' is pretty slim, but it's a process of elimination.

If they've tested with known, good quality, working hardware, then the CPU is certainly a possibility.

Any word on the specific BSOD error? In my experience, the BSOD is more likely to be software/OS or hardware (RAM, generally) related.

Disable DOCP/XMP, run at 2133/2400MHz, clean install the OS and go from there. If the issue persists, then it's fairly likely you're looking at the CPU.

Jun 28, 2018
As I mentioned above everything has been tested out, my friend even paid a visit to a hardware shop for further investigation (they concluded to MOBO at first place) and after receiving the new MOBO, the only thing left untested is the CPU. (what kind of a shop/technical support doesn't have at least a spare AM4 CPU but nvm) I'm on the same side with you on the matter anyway, but I can confirm that all the above mentioned steps has been checked and the only suspect left is the CPU. Trying to provide some more voltage would be a possible solution as he might completely lost the silicon lottery on this one? But yet again, it worked fine for a year or so. And yes, there was clean installation of windows.

Unfortunately I don't have any info ον the BSOD error. As I was informed that he has access to B350 MOBO and to another Ryzen CPU, can he simply check both on the different hardware and if one of the two gives the error, then he should RMA either the board or the CPU if that's what causing the BSODs after all?

There's no broken pin on the CPU either by the way.

He had no idea what DOCP/XMP prof was all this time, so that was never activated

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it's worked fine for a year or so, unless it's been over-volted and pushed hard, it's unlikely have simply failed.
CPUs, generally speaking either 'work' or are DOA under normal conditions.

A clean OS install has been performed? Quality PSU used ?

Jun 28, 2018

Yes, clean OS install has been performed before. I don't have any info now if he even managed to re-install Windows as he again formatted his disk before the Blue screens occur again. The PSU is from Be Quiet, don't remember wattage but i think it's gold certified.

Jun 28, 2018

He can't even get Windows installed. He tried a 2nd gen Ryzen and there are no problems on his motherboard, so it must be the 1800X

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As the common denominator, it certainly sounds like it sits with the CPU.

The fact he tried 2nd Gen though, would have me cautious that it's not a RAM compatibility issue, despite the testing.
The IMC for 2nd Gen is more robust.

If it were tested with another 1st Gen chip, i'd say you almost certainly have an issue with the 1800X.... With a 2nd Gen tested though, there's still a little bit of doubt in my mind.

Jun 28, 2018

Yes I see your point. I guess his friend will allow him to test his 1800X on his B350 Rog Strix-F and come to a conclusion. Though, even if it's a ram incompatibility issue shouldn't that occur only on XMP Profile and not on stock settings? As I said he tried another ram kit and he faced the same issues as well.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While it sounds plausible that it would only be a concern with DOCP/XMP, in it's early days some kits wouldn't even post on Ryzen boards - and at post stage, you're running stock anyway. They were rare, and the chances of two separate kits doing the same thing are slim.

Test out the friends 1800X, if it BSODs, then it's not the CPU.
If it doesn't, looks like their chip is defective.

TRENDING THREADS