How to verify RAID-1 is working?

I've got a system with an IDE drive and a SATA drive set up as a mirror
with RAID-1. What is the easiest way to confirm that this setup is indeed
functioning as intended? I do recall that when I set the system up for a
friend that it was confirmed as working (it's an Asus MB) but he wants a
quick and dirty way to look and make sure...

Any quick tips appreciated.

Mike

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

im not familiar with the mobo, but i supposed you could always pull a drive
to check.

"Michael Mason" <an956@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> I've got a system with an IDE drive and a SATA drive set up as a mirror
> with RAID-1. What is the easiest way to confirm that this setup is indeed
> functioning as intended? I do recall that when I set the system up for a
> friend that it was confirmed as working (it's an Asus MB) but he wants a
> quick and dirty way to look and make sure...
>
> Any quick tips appreciated.
>
> Mike

P4PE-RAID

"Rob" (rob@nospam.com) writes:
> im not familiar with the mobo, but i supposed you could always pull a drive
> to check.
>

> "Michael Mason" <an956@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
>> I've got a system with an IDE drive and a SATA drive set up as a mirror
>> with RAID-1. What is the easiest way to confirm that this setup is indeed
>> functioning as intended? I do recall that when I set the system up for a
>> friend that it was confirmed as working (it's an Asus MB) but he wants a
>> quick and dirty way to look and make sure...
>>
>> Any quick tips appreciated.
>>
>> Mike

Jim

If you break the mirror, either should be bootable independently (that's
afterall the definition of a mirror). So break it (that normally doesn't do
anything to the HD, it just stops the RAID controller from copying the
contents of the HD #1 to HD #2). At that point, either should be 100%
identical to the other, so either should boot and behave identically as a
single, non-RAID drive.

Jim

In article <c4vqhq$30b$1@freenet9.carleton.ca>, an956
@FreeNet.Carleton.CA says...
> I've got a system with an IDE drive and a SATA drive set up as a mirror
> with RAID-1. What is the easiest way to confirm that this setup is indeed
> functioning as intended? I do recall that when I set the system up for a
> friend that it was confirmed as working (it's an Asus MB) but he wants a
> quick and dirty way to look and make sure...
>
> Any quick tips appreciated.

If it's a RAID that you setup in the BIOS, there should
also be a status screen (at least with Promise RAID
BIOS) that you can check status. Promise RAID also
comes with software that lets you monitor the array
under Windows.

clint

I vote for taking a hammer to one of the drives while everything is in
operation! Can you post the video?

Clint

"Michael Mason" <an956@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> I've got a system with an IDE drive and a SATA drive set up as a mirror
> with RAID-1. What is the easiest way to confirm that this setup is indeed
> functioning as intended? I do recall that when I set the system up for a
> friend that it was confirmed as working (it's an Asus MB) but he wants a
> quick and dirty way to look and make sure...
>
> Any quick tips appreciated.
>
> Mike

You must have worked for Dell at one time or another :)

"Clint" <noone@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> I vote for taking a hammer to one of the drives while everything is in
> operation! Can you post the video?
>
> Clint

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts