Question How to view total system watt usage

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
I'm trying to see what my watt usage for my entire system currently and wondering if there was an easy way to see an estimate of this. I've read a couple posts about viewing this with HWiNFO64 but the posts were a bit confusing to me and still not 100 percent clear on how to estimate total system watt usage. Any advice is appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to see what my watt usage for my entire system currently and wondering if there was an easy way to see an estimate of this. I've read a couple posts about viewing this with HWiNFO64 but the posts were a bit confusing to me and still not 100 percent clear on how to estimate total system watt usage. Any advice is appreciated.
A Kill A Watt device, between the system and the wall plug.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Reactions: KyaraM and cAllen

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Why do you want to know?

You might in order to size a UPS.
Or to prevent an overloaded wall circuit?
Or, just idle curiosity.

All are good reasons.

Well I never really knew how much power my PC was consuming and wanted at least a reference point so I know what kinds of GPU's and things I could upgrade to without power consumption issues. I currently have a GTX 1660 super but wanted something more powerful like a RTX 3060 or 3070. I couldn't remember my PSU wattage limit until I looked the other day and saw it was 600w PSU.

KyaraM

Admirable
Ah, okay. Is trying to calculate usage via software typically not very reliable/accurate?
Programs like HWINFO don't log the mainboard power draw, for example. Like, HWINFO says my CPU uses 40W and my GPU 202W after tuning, while gaming. That's 242W. However, looking at the watt meter I have, my system actually uses around 320W. The remaining 80W would therefore be what the rest of the system - mainboard, RAM, drives, peripherals - uses. Software isn't telling you any of this.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well I never really knew how much power my PC was consuming and wanted at least a reference point so I know what kinds of GPU's and things I could upgrade to without power consumption issues. I currently have a GTX 1660 super but wanted something more powerful like a RTX 3060 or 3070. I couldn't remember my PSU wattage limit until I looked the other day and saw it was 600w PSU.
Without knowing the make and model number of the power supply keep in mind just because it says 600 watts doesn't mean it can deliver that.

For the Kill A Watt it does fairly well but can't react fast enough to read short power spikes.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Without knowing the make and model number of the power supply keep in mind just because it says 600 watts doesn't mean it can deliver that.

For the Kill A Watt it does fairly well but can't react fast enough to read short power spikes.
The PSU power needed is almost all gated by the graphics card.
For that, here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
What is the make/model of your psu?
600w does not tell it all.
For a GPU, the 12v portion is what the gpu and cpu will use.
600w is an indicator that you might have an older psu of perhaps questionable quality.
You are likely looking at a psu upgrade.

I have a smaller build (micro atx/mini itx range) so I have a smaller form PSU. It's an Corsair SF Series 600w 80 plus gold PSU. Would this be viable?

Programs like HWINFO don't log the mainboard power draw, for example. Like, HWINFO says my CPU uses 40W and my GPU 202W after tuning, while gaming. That's 242W. However, looking at the watt meter I have, my system actually uses around 320W. The remaining 80W would therefore be what the rest of the system - mainboard, RAM, drives, peripherals - uses. Software isn't telling you any of this.

Okay, thanks for the additional info. I'll keep that in mind.