how viable is my rig for future gaming ?

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
so my rig has an i5 4440 and a gtx 1060 6gb plus 8 gb DDR3 ram

will be picking up a monitor this week (1080p 60/75hz) and was wondering if my rig can handle games in the near future (2-3 years) at high-v.high settings @ 45-ish fps ? this will affect my choice of monitor as I might contemplate getting a lower resolution monitor if my pc cant handle it :/

Solution

Anti-aliasing fixes the jagged edges and Anti-sotropic filtering keeps the image clear.
But my TV is 65" and I play while sitting on the couch which is far enough away that the image still looks amazing.
If it was an issue then all of the Netflix movies I watch at 1080p wouldn't look good either.

To me you are too concerned about something that is a non-issue.
You don't have to get a lower resolution monitor. You can just set your game resolution to a lower setting.
I have a 4K TV (as my monitor) but I can't afford a real 4K capable video card, so what do i do? I use 1080p.

Also, with that video card 1080p will run just fine for most games... In the next 2 or 3 years you probably won't be able to keep them at Very High or Ultra graphic settings.

Bottom line: I'd get the 1080p monitor you were looking at.

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

so doesn't the picture quality get like blurry and jagged edge-y ? it must be hard for you to game in those conditions ?

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

how long do you reckon games will have 1060 as the recommended gpu ?

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

so how long ?and medium-high :/ ?

Impossible to say how long. Most game settings don't rely on the cpu so dropping settings will only help a little with some settings.

Anti-aliasing fixes the jagged edges and Anti-sotropic filtering keeps the image clear.
But my TV is 65" and I play while sitting on the couch which is far enough away that the image still looks amazing.
If it was an issue then all of the Netflix movies I watch at 1080p wouldn't look good either.

To me you are too concerned about something that is a non-issue.

Solution

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

which is why I said 45 on high-very high for the next few years
I didn't say maxed out

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

this answers it.thanks
will lower my resolution and adjust the AA accordingly

Most go by 60 FPS when planning ahead because if you're only getting 45 in a lot of games at time of purchase, that will only go down going forward. You need some headroom to account for games advancing. Do you really want to risk getting only 30 FPS in some games 2+ years down the road? Might as well get a console at that point.