[SOLVED] How/Where can I install this secondary (SSD) drive on my PC with HDD?

Mar 16, 2019
Hi,
I'm planning on upgrading for the first time, and currently confused as to whether I could place another drive and how to connect it properly.
The SSD I'm planning to buy is Kingston A400 SSD 2.5".

The motherboard is an MSI A68HM-E33V2. It says on the official page that it can handle 4 SATAIII drives, but

1. Do I just connect the SSD to the second 4-pin Molex connector that isn't connected to anything else?

(I've read online it can sometimes fry the motherboard/SSD) or

2. Do I need to buy a separate SATA cable?

(If so, where do I connect it exactly?)

3. Where do I mount the SSD?

I think there's an empty bracket in the top right corner. Can I install it there?

Here's a picture if needed. (The current/first HDD is on the bottom right) Thanks for any help!

USAFRet

Titan
1. Not the MOLEX, but rather the SATA power off the PSU

2. It needs a SATA data cable from the motherboard. If you don't have one, you'll need to buy one (or a few). Maybe $1 each.

UgKwNa4.gif

3. Mount it wherever there is a mount for it. Some cases have dedicated mount points for 2.5" drives.
Otherwise, there are 3.5" -> 2.5" adapter plates.

4. Clean the inside of that thing! Your CPU cooler appears to be quite dusty.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know WHAT that recommendation was all about, but I'm sure you glad you refuted it because, man, was that off.

I'll second, third and fourth the recommendation that you either get a couple of cans of compressed air or take it to somebody with an air compressor and GENTLY, in short blasts, from no closer than 12 inches, blow all the dust and gunk out of that thing. It's senseless to even bother with other hardware until you do that. If you are getting an SSD because of performance issues, they are likely due to thermal throttling because your heatsink is so packed with dust. Blow the heatsink and the rest of the case out first, then worry about an SSD.

Has to be blowing the right direction or there'd be no dust build up where it is at. I'd still put it on the other side of the heatsink though if it clears the memory, for exactly the reason of that dust buildup. Still get dust build up, but not as bad, and not as fast.

Mar 16, 2019
1. Not the MOLEX, but rather the SATA power off the PSU

2. It needs a SATA data cable from the motherboard. If you don't have one, you'll need to buy one (or a few). Maybe $1 each.

UgKwNa4.gif

3. Mount it wherever there is a mount for it. Some cases have dedicated mount points for 2.5" drives.
Otherwise, there are 3.5" -> 2.5" adapter plates.

4. Clean the inside of that thing! Your CPU cooler appears to be quite dusty.

Thanks for the answers! If I'm getting it correctly, I need to buy a power and data cable as I don't see any extra inside.

I see there are unused data ports on the motherboard for me to connect to, but where do I plug in the SATA power cable? It looks there's only the 4-pin connector in there (The current drive seems to be connected to a similar connector as well).

To answer the other questions,

• Yes, I do need to clean the fans asap
• I bought the cooler as the CPU (AMD A8-7600) constantly reached 80+C (It's at 50-70C now under normal usage, I think I need a better fan)
• I'm planning on moving Windows 10 to the SSD because it's so slow to boot up and apps generally take some time to open.

Edit: I tried what you recommended and it looks like it is indeed blowing on the right side (illustration). I think I might've messed up the placement.

USAFRet

Titan
If the CPU fan is blowing left to right (as it appears), then you need to swap it around.

SATA power - that white and black connection right in the middle of the screen...if you disconnect that, what does the black part look like? 4 fat pins, or an L shape?

I don't see anything except for Molex and Berg connectors hanging out in the picture he posted, maybe I missed something? If not, then you might need a different power supply that DOES have the proper connectors. Often, those cheap OEM style units only have enough connections to barely be adequate for the hardware the system came with when new.

As for the CPU cooler, I agree with USAFRet. Need to make SURE it's configured properly. I'd remove it, blow out the heatsink and the rest of the case (Seriously, this is important) then move it to the other side of the heatsink and make sure it is taking air from right to left, as seen here:

2008izm.jpg

Mar 16, 2019
I don't see anything except for Molex and Berg connectors hanging out in the picture he posted, maybe I missed something? If not, then you might need a different power supply that DOES have the proper connectors. Often, those cheap OEM style units only have enough connections to barely be adequate for the hardware the system came with when new.

As for the CPU cooler, I agree with USAFRet. Need to make SURE it's configured properly. I'd remove it, blow out the heatsink and the rest of the case (Seriously, this is important) then move it to the other side of the heatsink and make sure it is taking air from right to left, as seen here:

2008izm.jpg
It's a pre-built CPU, you're probably right. However, is it safe to just replace the existing HDD with a SSD?

I don't see why not. If that HDD has Windows on it though, you're going to need to either do a clean install of Windows or if the HDD has only about 70% of the capacity of the SSD stored on it, you could clone the current installation to the SSD. If the drive is used for storage only, not the OS, then there should be no issues whatsoever other than how to get the data that's on it to the SSD without having enough connectors to have both connected at the same time.

USAFRet knows a lot more about storage than I do, so whatever suggestions he has, I'd listen.

Mar 16, 2019
Maybe, probably.

What OS is this?
What is the full parts list?

There are two basic methods for doing this.
A clean install of the OS and everything else on a new drive.
or
A migration from the old drive to the new drive.
Specs:
Motherboard: MSI-A68HM-E33 V2
CPU: AMD A8-7600 with Radeon R7
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB
Storage: Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB10C

I think I'm just gonna replace the internal with a SSD and use the HDD as an external drive, although I am slightly concerned about connecting the new one to the molex connector. Thanks for all the help btw.