How will this build handle these games?

pufut

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014
Hello,

I have recently decided the parts on a new budget gaming build. I just wanted to get an insight into how well the community thinks it may run, as I've never had experience with any of these components beforehand. I have seen a video of someone with the same CPU and GPU, and that was running Skyrim flawlessly at 1080p.

Anyway, the games I'm interested in knowing about are:
-Fallout 3 [modded and with ENB]
-Half-Life Series
-Minecraft [with Shaders]
-Garrys Mod

And the parts:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£51.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£42.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.98 @ Dabs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card (£110.40 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£35.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£48.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £398.47

Thanks to all who answer :)

Solution
Half Life will be perfect, GMOD perfect, Minecraft perfect.

Fallout 3 with ENB mods does become quite demanding. I have the GTX 760 compared to the AMD R9 270x and I get some what horrible framerates at 1080p. I resolved to getting similar mods that change graphics but are not as demanding and it runs flawlessly.

If you want, upgrade the GPU, or just use less demanding ENB's. Either way it is a solid build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rf5ZtOSUWY

This video shows how much more demanding games are handled with the card. And it gets around 40-60FPS on most games maxed out, so there will be no trouble playing those games with 60+ FPS with Mods and shaders.

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Half Life will be perfect, GMOD perfect, Minecraft perfect.

Fallout 3 with ENB mods does become quite demanding. I have the GTX 760 compared to the AMD R9 270x and I get some what horrible framerates at 1080p. I resolved to getting similar mods that change graphics but are not as demanding and it runs flawlessly.

If you want, upgrade the GPU, or just use less demanding ENB's. Either way it is a solid build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rf5ZtOSUWY

This video shows how much more demanding games are handled with the card. And it gets around 40-60FPS on most games maxed out, so there will be no trouble playing those games with 60+ FPS with Mods and shaders.

Solution

pufut

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2014

This is great information, cheers. It's a shame as Fallout was the game I was most excited to experiment with graphics-wise but it doesn't matter too much, as long as I get smooth game-play I can always tweak and upgrade the GPU later on :)

Thank you!

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
The only thing you can do is test! My game runs amazing and it looks amazing and I am sure you can get similar results, it could just be a bug in most ENB's that doesnt utilize the full GPU or something, but there is always an option to work around :)

Cheers.

Fallout should be playable though, and I agree with you, a GPU is always upgradeable!