Question How would I bond a hinge metal rod that is broken at a 90 degree angle?

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Hello! I am a new user here, so apologies if I did something wrong.

I have a laptop with a problematic hinge. The part that keeps the hinge from moving freely has snapped in half at the very end, where it bends at 90 degrees. (I tried taking pictures, but they turned out fuzzy.)

A solder was attempted, but it failed after some time. I'm now considering using JB Weld or some other epoxy to bond the pieces back together. I already have the "Plastic Bonder" which someone else bought for me, but I'm not sure if that will work for bonding two pieces of metal.

My question is, would that epoxy work? If not, what other types of epoxy do you guys recommend for this repair?

Thanks.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I'd need a decent pic of exactly what you're trying to stick together and a better description of what kind of interaction the broken part has with the rest of the laptop. If metal and it can be removed the best option would be to have someone weld it, or search for a replacement part. If it can't be removed obviously both of those options are off the table.

Jb weld is very very strong, but would require it to be at least 1/4" thick around the break for 1/2" or more on each side of the break to be strong. Most epoxies are similar.

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
I'd need a decent pic of exactly what you're trying to stick together and a better description of what kind of interaction the broken part has with the rest of the laptop. If metal and it can be removed the best option would be to have someone weld it, or search for a replacement part. If it can't be removed obviously both of those options are off the table.

Jb weld is very very strong, but would require it to be at least 1/4" thick around the break for 1/2" or more on each side of the break to be strong. Most epoxies are similar.

This is the best image I can get from my phone...

gSoNzSH.jpg

The circle portion of the image is the broken part. The shiniest parts are the solder.

Since that part is broken, the hinge part that is encased in the laptop moves freely, especially when the laptop is being opened or closed. As it moves, it applies a lot of pressure to the case, causing the area to open up a bit, as well as the cover screw falling off. The plastic at the top is cracked because of this, and the screw hole in the bottom cover broke off.

Instead of bonding the pieces, I'd suggest you find the same laptop that is non-functioning and buy it for parts.

As of now, I won't be able to do that for a long time.

Last edited: