[SOLVED] How would I go about updating the BIOS?

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Hello, I've been looking to buy a new cpu lately and I've settled on the Ryzen 5 5600x, the issue is that the board I'm using currently using doesn't support a 5000 series cpu, there is a newer BIOS version that does allow it to support them but to update to that BIOS version, it tells me "ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system." however I'm currently using a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is pinnacle ridge.

Would there be any issue if I just updated it and ignore the warning or is there any way I could update it without having to use another cpu? as I do not have another one lying around. If its not possible to update without another cpu then I suppose I should just cut my losses and go with the Ryzen 7 3700x instead which my BIOS version does support.

SPECS
  • ASRock B450M Pro4
  • Ryzen 5 1600 AF Model
  • Mobo BIOS Version P3.90

Solution
It's kind of a gamble, ASRock don't recommend it though you will be moving onto a latter gen processor however you're already on BIOS version 3.90 which is also given the same yellow text warning as the latter and prior BIOS versions. Your motherboard also doesn't have any BIOS recovery option, so yeah either take the gamble or work with a Ryzen 3000 series processor or source a B550 chipset motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
It's kind of a gamble, ASRock don't recommend it though you will be moving onto a latter gen processor however you're already on BIOS version 3.90 which is also given the same yellow text warning as the latter and prior BIOS versions. Your motherboard also doesn't have any BIOS recovery option, so yeah either take the gamble or work with a Ryzen 3000 series processor or source a B550 chipset motherboard.

Reactions: manlol
Solution

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
I haven't updated the BIOS to 3.90 myself, that is the version it shipped with so I think it would be a pretty risky gamble that I'm not willing to take so I'll just go with the Ryzen 7 3700x then, thanks for the quick answer.