[SOLVED] How would you approach updating BIOS in my place?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
EDIT: BIOS version F14 seems like the latest "official" and recommended version at the moment, download newer versions with suffixes at your own risk(they might be in BETA or something)

SIDENOTE: According to manual for this model, after updating BIOS you should also load BIOS optimized settings. DO the same after clearing CMOS

Hi, long story short I have new Gigabyte a520m S2H which supports Q+flashing. It's been sitting on shelf for a year or two, which means it has older BIOS version, while on Gigabyte website there is a recommendation to update BIOS for security vulnerability. I am still waiting for Ryzen 5 3600 CPU to be delivered to me. I want to update BIOS to latest version.I could use Q flash plus to do it,but I have no UPS and there's a chance power will go out during flashing.

So what would you do in my place, wait for the CPU and update BIOS using different approach, or risk bricking the board and using Q flash?

Is there a safe way to update BIOS using different method than Q flashing? Can I build PC first and then update it, if so how?

Last edited:
Solution
Unless you work for the government and need to keep your files secure, don't worry about a bios update just for a possible of security vulnerability. Just build your pc, bring all your windows and drivers up to date and be happy. If you want to venture into updating your bios do it at your leisure there is no rush.
Unless you work for the government and need to keep your files secure, don't worry about a bios update just for a possible of security vulnerability. Just build your pc, bring all your windows and drivers up to date and be happy. If you want to venture into updating your bios do it at your leisure there is no rush.

Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
these things scare me What are the other ways of updating BIOS for my motherboard other than Q-flashing?

What bios version do you have now? It is pretty straight forward to use QFlash. You download the bios file on a usb, insert it into a usb slot, press the QFlash button and the motherboard does the rest. It can take some time to complete so never turn the power off to the motherboard until you are certain it is finished. You can take it to a computer shop if you are too intimidated by the process.

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
What bios version do you have now? It is pretty straight forward to use QFlash. You download the bios file on a usb, insert it into a usb slot, press the QFlash button and the motherboard does the rest. It can take some time to complete so never turn the power off to the motherboard until you are certain it is finished. You can take it to a computer shop if you are too intimidated by the process.
I don't know yet because it's new and it's been Sitting on shelf for a year or two.I managed to get UPS and will probably use Q flash,but now I have unsolved question rather to update straight to latest F15e version or first I need F14 because of the major vulnerability update, I used Gigabyte support for the answer,still waiting for it. One more question: after I flash BIOS, do I need to load BIOS optimized default settings?

I don't know yet because it's new and it's been Sitting on shelf for a year or two.I managed to get UPS and will probably use Q flash,but now I have unsolved question rather to update straight to latest F15e version or first I need F14 because of the major vulnerability update, I used Gigabyte support for the answer,still waiting for it. One more question: after I flash BIOS, do I need to load BIOS optimized default settings?
You can go straight to F15E it will contain the same files as F14. When you first install bios it is already set at optimal settings.

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
To anyone trying to update BIOS like me on this model.... F14 version seems to be the latest "official"release not anything above it with suffixes. I don't know if they are still in BETA or something , but for this board i think it's recommended to update to F14 at the moment.

SIDENOTE: According to manual for this model, after updating BIOS you should also load BIOS optimized settings. DO the same after clearing CMOS

Last edited:
To anyone trying to update BIOS like me on this model.... F14 version seems to be the latest "official"release not anything above it with suffixes. I don't know if they are still in BETA or something , but for this board i think it's recommended to update to F14 at the moment.

When you loaded the bios what did it defualt to?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Most boards with q-flash (different vendors have different names) should be able to be reflashed even if it fails.

I mean this respectfully. Not sure if you are being overly cautious or if your power is that unpredictable. If it's that's unpredictable, you should invest in a UPS so you can do a proper emergency shutdown rather than the whole computer snapping off with no power.

TRENDING THREADS