How Would You Explain an SSD to Your Mother?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

An SSD is a storage drive like your current hard drive, but since it does not have rotating discs in it, it is many many times faster. Just picture the HD as a wheel rolling down the hill, and the solid state drive as a lightning bolt. Allowing your laptop to boot much faster, and get that excel file you are working on to open much quicker, and makes practically everything you do quicker.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
A solid state drive is like a thumb drive, but 50 times faster, meaning that it makes your whole computer run faster and u never have to wait on it

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Being less tech-savvy doesn't mean being dumb... my mom knows what an HDD is and explaining what an SSD is was rather easy. Now I just have to get myself one and show her how awesome it is!

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Now, when you're making me sandwich, your speed is like a HDD.

But when I gather 50 other mothers from the suburb, give them a whole stack of bread, butter and ham and tell them to make sandwiches, they will make a lot more sandwiches in the same amount of time that it took you to make one. This can be likened to the speed of an SSD.

An SSD is like that, but only it doesn't make sandwiches, and it costs a whole lot more. And that's all you need to know, other than the fact that you will be the one funding my endeavours to buy said SSD.

4745454b

Titan
Usually when I try to explain something to my mother I just give up and say "trust me". Usually works for her. My dad still tries to understand and I usually just give up/stop. I'll have to give this some thought.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's kind of pathetic that most people here think their mother is almost retarded and they have to make "homemaker" analogies for them to understand. My mother earned two master degrees; more than I have.

Also keep in mind that, for males, slightly over half your DNA came from her. So if she's so stupid, what does that make you?

If you can't explain why an SSD makes a difference, that's probably your own communication skills failing, or her disinterest in something she considers unimportant. A cooking analogy reinforces the probability of the first being likely. The second is mitigated by keeping it quick and simple, again pointing to a failure to communicate by not understanding your audience.

newbhtpc

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I think the analogy id go for would be an order wheel in the kitchen at a diner...cook spins it to grab a ticket/order vs. the monochrome monitor screens at like a fastfood (I personally remember seeing one in a tacobell" with 8 orders displayed at once.

monsta

Splendid
Sorry but seriously what a dumb competition, like Samsung cares what your mother thinks , and like your mother cares what an SSD is........... where is your imagination guys?

G

SSD mean you don't have to wait so long for your computer to boot up so you can use your 56k modem to check your AOL mail account.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
"It is simply as faster, more reliable method of storing data long term. Except it contains no moving parts so its only limit is the speed of electricity. A large improvement over the old mechanical system.

It is replacing the old method, like moving from tapes to CD's"

That was my submission for what it is worth.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]hugos[/nom]My mother is cisco certified architect[/citation]

Chances are she would probably be able to explain it better to you then vice versa.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]kyee7k[/nom]It has a very fast boot sequence. That's all they need to know.[/citation]

And after you put the sequins on your boots it makes the mouse click faster? Is that right son?

G

"Hey Mom,
Do you remember dial-up? You had to wait 2 minutes to load a text-based email - now you have broadband and everything loads the second you click? Now imagine: you power-on your desktop and Windows boots before you can find your mouse.. Everything else is even faster.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Sorry but seriously what a dumb competition, like Samsung cares what your mother thinks , and like your mother cares what an SSD is........... where is your imagination guys?[/citation]

1) Samsung DOES care, they want some marketing advice.

2) Yes, my mother WILL care what an SSD is once she'll see one in action. Nobody likes slow boot times!

G

Mom, I need to talk to you about something well..kinda technical, ok? Imagine a hard drive.What's a hard drive? It's that thing in your computer that holds all the computer's information. Yes mom it's the thing with the Gigabytes! Yes, it makes noise sometimes . yeah Mom the noisy old thing that makes you feel like you have an air conditioner, or a fan, or a jet airplane running in your office. Now imagine that this drive is perfectly quiet and has no moving parts, and it's smaller. Got it? That's pretty cool isn't it ohh yeah and its cool too Mom. No not cool cool like temperature cool (well it is cool cool too but...)uses less energy too! Now Mom all you really need to know is the coolest thing about this kind of drive. You know how you have to wait for windows to boot up? Remember yelling at the screen when you were trying to get that report out? Yeah Mom I know that dang windows screen, slow windows , bad windows ,well no more waiting! These drives are fast! No more yelling Mom. Mom stop yelling at your computer NOW! Get an SSD!

Status
Not open for further replies.