Question HP 6300 Pro SFF vs Radeon R9 290x Tri X OC No luck

Mar 7, 2019
I should have taken the Blue pill...

My son and I have taken on, the never done before by us, adventure of building a gaming PC for him so we started with the HP 6300 Pro elite SFF I3 3.3MHZ added 8GB Ram. He then purchased a Radeon R9 290X Tri X OC Graphics card which does not even come close to fitting in the box so I then got a PCI - E extender so it could sit outside of the box. I also bought a 750W power supply and adapter for the mother board. That's where I am.
So here is where I need help:
The graphics card is not recognized at all by the PC even though the fans spin.

Some things I have noticed:
I have unplugged the vga cable from internal graphics to monitor but the GPU still isnt recognized
The GPU has 2x8 pin inputs from power supply, I have 1 8 pin cable that splits to to 8 pins (does that mean the GPU is not getting enough power?) - I have another 6 to 8 pin arriving tomorrow just in case
Anything to do with display in BIOS is greyed out, as in I can't change the options of the integrated graphics or VGA settings
I have loaded the Radeon drivers and installer but since the GPU is not even recognized it isnt doing anything
Device manager and all the other utilities do not recognize the card
The fans on the GPU do spin
My video cable is an HDMI to DVI cable

I am at my end and the build is now at the verge of going over budget.

Might as well by a new box and motherboard but I prefer not to. Any help would be much appreciated

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
This sounds like it may be a faulty PCI-E extender since the GPU certainly is getting power try unscrewing the motherboard putting it on a cardboard box (or something that's not particularly likely to create static electricity) reconnect all your cables and just run your GPU directly off the PCI-E slot if its still not working it will likely be a problem with the motherboard in that case ive provided a link to a cheap reliable motherboard that is the same socket type (Amazon US:https://amzn.to/2C8Mvbo Amazon UK:https://amzn.to/2VKuKXa) of course you will likely need a new case so I found I cheap one that will do the job (Amazon UK: https://amzn.to/2Uql4Ra Amazon US:https://amzn.to/2SP25y3) if that still doesn't work its likely a GPU issue which I doubt it is considering it fans are spinning so that means its getting power

Mar 7, 2019
Shadow can we be friends???? You are the 2nd person to mention the extender. One my buddies , not so delicately and in a very Uncle Rob style, also said to ditch it. So I just go off the phone with friendly PC repair store owner and he is giving me an old tower to use as well. Then I will try the motherboard next.

I suggest you get a bare PC case. Consider one with good airflow for cooling with that video card.

Intel Core i3 Processor i3-2120 - These go for $25 on eBay.

A Micro-ATX motherboard or ATX motherboard. You can use a
LGA 1155/Socket H2 Computer Motherboard with that CPU.

https://www.ebay.com/b/LGA-1155-Socket-H2-Computer-Motherboards/1244/bn_652117

Get a retail box motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte or other motherboard maker. Stay away from HP, Dell and other OEM models.

Mar 7, 2019
Thank you. I ended up picking up a Phantom 410 midsize case for free. Turns out my motherboard doesnt quite fit and in the end the GPU doesnt even fit on the motherboard due to the CPU being in the way. I really suck at this. Im going to go get a new motherboard now, put the 6300 back together and try to sell it. Any recommendations for a new motherboard with that case?

BTW you guys are awesome, Ive been trolling the boards and the people on this forum are stellar.

What is your budget for the system and what do you have for the case aside form the power supply and video card? You have a monitor/keyboard/mouse suitable for gaming? Also what is the power supply brand and model?

The case you got is good size and will hold pretty much any motherboard out there. Your issue with is was using an OEM motherboard made for a specific model. Any normal market motherboard will fit.

I suggest poking around craigslist in your area, a lot of games upgrade their systems often and you can find good deals on parts or bundles.

Mar 7, 2019
The PSU is a warrior 750W. My budget is pretty much maxed but I need tofinish this thing so maybe another $100 for the motherboard and chip set

He has a DVI monitor 23" I believe and mouse and keyboard.

As I said before we have the pentium I3 core. So my question now is whether or not to get an LGA motherboard and use that processor or go with an AMD setup buy a new chipset and put the 6300 back together and try to get a few bucks back on it?

ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1066 Motherboards FM2A68M-DG3+

AMD AMD A6-7400K Dual-Core 3.5 GHz Socket FM2+ Desktop Processor Radeon R5 Series (AD740KYBJABOX)

That combo is about $110 on Amazon plus thermal goop

or is this a Ford vs Chevy question?

Mar 7, 2019
Here is where I am now
Phantom 410 case
AMD M5A97 R2.0 TurboV EVO with AMS 3 processor
Radeon R9 290X GPU which is connected to the monitor via DVI/HDMI cable
8G DDR3 RAM
*** Edit 750W power supply

The PC powersup all the fans work but there is no signal to the monitor. Any thoughts?

There is no internal graphics either

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS