Question HP 8440p dead GPU, can I still use the laptop using EGPU or CPU with GPU?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
I have an HP 8440p that would auto shutdown. A shop was fixing it. They mentioned changing the CPU controller but after that the built in NVIDIA NVS 3100M finally died for good. The GPU is soldered unto the MOBO. The 8440p has a ESATA port. Will I still be able to use the laptop if I use a i5 5409m with a built in GPU or an EGPU instead? With the EGPU it won't be as mobile and will be relegated to desktop work but that is fine and what I do anyway.

I have an old DDR3 GPU, a SATA cable, and a 3A power supply so all I would need would be the PCIE dock. I'm not sure if the 8440p will still even power on as with desktops, if there is a GPU, it will read and default to that even if there is a built in GPU. If the 8440p won't power on and I cannot access the BIOS to change the GPU from built in to EGPU then I'm still screwed.

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Sata is not PCIe

Why not have the shop turn it on with a display plugged into an hdmi port and see if that uses the intel GPU (often it will) ?

I'll ask them tomorrow as I'll be going there to get it or just get the RAM, HD, and CPU and donate the rest for them to cannibalize (lcd and keyboard are still ok.)

I'm afraid what you're suggesting might not work, the GPU on the MOBO is dead, it just turns off 1sec after pressing the power button. If only the GPU on the MOBO could be bypassed without going through the BIOS when turning it on.

popatim

Titan
It depends on how the laptop is setup by the manufacturer. All the intels from that era have a GPU built into the CPU and often when you connect an external display it connects to the iGPU and not the addin GPU. Other times the iGPU is completely out of the picture.

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
It depends on how the laptop is setup by the manufacturer. All the intels from that era have a GPU built into the CPU and often when you connect an external display it connects to the iGPU and not the addin GPU. Other times the iGPU is completely out of the picture.

Thanks. Everyone I talked to said the same. Even with an EGPU, I'd still need to access the BIOS first to switch to the EGPU. To get into to the BIOS I need the built in GPU to work, it doesn't so I will not be able to access the BIOS and switch to the EGPU.

I'm migrating and would have used the 8440p as my main computer with the VersaPro as a mobile/backup. I was planning on getting another 8440p once I arrive in the UK but after seeing a couple of other 8440s there having the same symptom of auto shutdown, I'll be building an SFF desktop instead.