News HP bricks ProBook laptops with bad BIOS — many users face black screen after Windows includes firmware in automatic updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of practice certainly won't bring them back to you whenever they decide it's time to buy a new Ultrabook or pro laptop, particularly considering the professional branding and focus.

No it won't, same way HP's printer practices over the last couple of decades haven't kept people from buying them. Especially when it comes to business use, what are the alternatives? Dell, or Chinese owned Lenovo.

Feb 18, 2024
This is the same antics Lenovo did on most of their laptops, a lot bricked over the years needing a send in repair or CH341A hack. In the end it was really windows update that bricked everyone due to MS not working with the OEMs directly.

Most bios chips have a firmware backup option but the OEMs never have them turned on by default. Hence it's a he said she said problem.

Reactions: slightnitpick

ukperson

Honorable
Jun 13, 2019
As long as the boot block wasn't corrupted and it's actively detecting main bios code as a corrupted you can usually put the update onto a usb stick in a certen folder and it will auto repair (

it's it's not beeping just flat black screen then yes hp/Microsoft need to coff up some money for repair, bios updates shouldn't be done via Windows update unless the system has a working recovery bios boot mechanism (like below) and checks for power connected and battery is above 50% at the same time

had it happen to a hp desktop where I did the update in windows it erased the bios then failed to write the update and then told windows to restart and got lots of beeps (didn't touch it for 5 months as I didn't realise it had a built in recovery just had to wait 30 seconds while it was beeping to trigger recovery mode and plug in a usb stick with the bios on there)

Reactions: slightnitpick

purposelycryptic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I have always hated forced automatic updates - it's my damned machine, and no one has the right to push anything to it without my explicitly authorizing it, not in some ToS wall of text, but manually, each time, unless I make the conscious decision otherwise - but force-pushing BIOS updates is just a couple hundred steps too far.

I don't even want that capability to exist on my machines. BIOS upgrades/installation should be restricted to local, manual user-initiated action only.

It's like getting a colonoscopy: I don't want drones dropping from the sky to shove a probe up my butt when it happens to be convenient for the doctor, and I don't want anyone force installing BIOS changes on my machine whenever they feel like it.

This really shouldn't even be up for discussion.

this issue has also bricked hardware outside of the warranty window

if its a forced update by the manufacturer that the user had no control over that damages device.....that should be covered even outside warranty and if they denied it they'd likely lose a class action lawsuit if someone started one up over it.

No device update should ever be forced (Windows has shown us time and again why its bad).
Bios specifically is a "unless its not workign dont update" for msot people as its a known risk factor.

Funny how my company use automatic updates on our 8000+ Dells using their own app and I think I can count on one hand how many failed to complete a bios update, many not down to a bios issue but some other hardware glitch.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
This article is total BS -- poorly researched, written just for outrage and click generation.

If you read the thread of complaints linked in the article, the very first post says:
I started the BIOS upgrade for my HP Probook 455 G7 initiated by HP Support Assitant.
The second post:
I have the same problem. I started the update from the BIOS, the update began, the screen went black, and now the PC turns on, but nothing happens.
The fourth post:
HP Authorized Service suggested that the BIOS in the Windows Update patch is faulty, but installing version 1.17 straight from the BIOS, via the Internet or using Support Assistant, the effect is the same. The service technician replaced the motherboard and updated the BIOS from version 1.14 to version 1.17. Upgrading from versions 1.15 and 1.16 causes the problem.
So, the lazy author who wrote the title didn't even have to read the whole complaint thread to understand that:

1. There was no forced update -- in most of the complaints they were either self-initiated or allowed
2. Windows Update is not to blame, because firmware updates can be disabled in BIOS (“Native OS Firmware Update Service” set to disable)

Nov 3, 2023
This article is total BS -- poorly researched, written just for outrage and click generation.

If you read the thread of complaints linked in the article, the very first post says:

The second post:

The fourth post:

So, the lazy author who wrote the title didn't even have to read the whole complaint thread to understand that:

1. There was no forced update -- in most of the complaints they were either self-initiated or allowed
2. Windows Update is not to blame, because firmware updates can be disabled in BIOS (“Native OS Firmware Update Service” set to disable)

I, the author, did not pick the title. You'll notice Windows Update isn't mentioned once in this entire piece.

But also, plenty of people referred directly to the BIOS updates being forced start on their laptops, including a user who had it happen within moments of starting to charge a laptop on an empty battery. I spent plenty of time on this. I certainly read more than four posts.

For that matter, even in situations where the BIOS update wasn't automatically forced, it's still a pretty bad look for a major PC manufacturer to be pushing BIOS updates that brick hardware outside of warranty...something people should perhaps know about, especially if they own the HP laptop in question.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Its a FYI post. Its to let anyone who reads Tom's know about a failed HP update.

Its not click bait, its to spread the word.

Its not the first time a BIOS update has been released and recalled. It won't be the last. They should be tested more before releasing them. Especially on a device where all the parts are known. Its slightly harder on desktop as so many possible combos of gear.

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
does a second backup bios chip costs companies that much to not include them? :/ (3 bucks at best lol)
HP makes it appear as though these have a backup BIOS ROM, but even using the bad BIOS recovery procedure didn't work on our ProBook 455 G7, so it's far from foolproof and reliable.

Ours just went outside the 3-year warranty we had on it, just as this article mentions. Very fortunate that this was a spare laptop and not an important daily-use end-user's. Funny though as in our case, it was a routine BIOS update procedure, i.e. manually downloaded and invoked rather than a free-flying Windows Update. Pulled SSD and being e-waste recycled now, which is too bad as it meets the hardware req's to run Windows 11 (and was running W11, lol).

HP needs to acknowledge this.

BIOS/UEFI really should be kept fairly up-to-date in the modern enterprise environment, and yet it's cases like this that take IT Pros to back when flashing BIOS was sufficiently unreliable that it was only done to fix a targeted problem or problems.

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
It doesn't have to be an automatic update.

I have a 2019 HP 17-by0024nm laptop, and two years ago I manually started a BIOS update. External power connected, everything as usual.

The result? Message "BIOS updated successfully, restart the system". After restarting - completely black screen (not even backlight), only the power LED glows and fan spins. Nothing more. Had to send it in for a new motherboard.

Since then, I didn't install a single BIOS update. Because of this, I would force all manufacturers to include a second (backup, non-writable) BIOS chip.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
No it won't, same way HP's printer practices over the last couple of decades haven't kept people from buying them.
Consumer printers are on another field of play, here we are talking of professional level hardware that probably was bought for professional use by conscious users.

Especially when it comes to business use, what are the alternatives? Dell, or Chinese owned Lenovo.
Why not ? In particular Lenovo give good satisfaction to me in the last 4 years.

HP makes it appear as though these have a backup BIOS ROM, but even using the bad BIOS recovery procedure didn't work on our ProBook 455 G7, so it's far from foolproof and reliable.
bios backup would kick in when main bios wont load, its physical chip.
uefi has native recovery, but bios boot block needs to be working, if that gets corrupted, withthout second chip holding atleast that boot block to recover with usb stick, it wont recover and rma is needed

CmdrShepard

Prominent
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
I, the author, did not pick the title. You'll notice Windows Update isn't mentioned once in this entire piece.
What's this then?

HP bricks ProBook laptops with bad BIOS — many users face black screen after Windows includes firmware in automatic updates

To me, that's blaming Windows update and implying update was somehow forced.
But also, plenty of people referred directly to the BIOS updates being forced start on their laptops, including a user who had it happen within moments of starting to charge a laptop on an empty battery. I spent plenty of time on this. I certainly read more than four posts.
I read through the posts too -- I used at least 2 work-issued HP ProBooks in the past couple of years (I still have one 440 G8 here). Never, ever have I had any of them start a BIOS update in those conditions and certainly not without my approval. I am calling BS on that claim unless there's more than one.
For that matter, even in situations where the BIOS update wasn't automatically forced, it's still a pretty bad look for a major PC manufacturer to be pushing BIOS updates that brick hardware outside of warranty...something people should perhaps know about, especially if they own the HP laptop in question.
On this I agree with you 100% -- bricking is bad and apparently they screwed up and it's not the first time.

However, implying that automatic Windows Update had something to do with it in the article title and saying update was forced when many of them actually allowed it or started it themselves is not conveying accurate information. Even mentioning that user's flashing on empty battery claim is information which is impossible to verify from a sample size of one and since the cause of bricking is bad BIOS itself and not flashing process it should have been omitted from the article and let the readers read it in the context of the original thread and decide whether to trust it or not instead of amplifying it through your own journalistic authority.

Colif

Win 11 Master

HP bricks ProBook laptops with bad BIOS — many users face black screen after Windows includes firmware in automatic updates

The writer didn't pick that headline. A bot that scrapes the front page for articles and posts them here, did.

The actual headline on the article is:
"HP bricks ProBook laptops with bad BIOS delivered via automatic updates — many users face black screen after Windows pushes new firmware"
and it wasn't picked by the writer either.

The bot isn't perfect, it has been known to lose words in the meaning of a topic. So you are talking to the wrong person there, and gl getting a bot to listen :)

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Prime example of why I have Windows configured to only accept Windows updates and not driver, firmware or software.

And for firmware in general from any source, I don't update it unless there's a reason to and/or it's been out in the wild for a while.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how bios updates are treated seems to vary between type of user
Corporate seem to want to be on latest
Home user only really need to update theirs if:
1. its a new motherboard and its on an older bios, might as well be on latest
2. you are having a problem and it might fix it.
3. Guess another valid reason is if it adds a feature you need to install windows.

Generally I don't update BIOS on a whim as up until recently bricking them via updates was possible, Many new boards now let you flash bios even with just a CPU/PSU attached so fixing a board is possible now.

So it depends on audience as to what answer you get.

As for turning things off in bios or windows updates, most users don't even know to do either of those things. They are reasonable steps to take but to expect users to be wary of bad downloads is really placing blame on the wrong people... it would obviously be better if the files didn't break things.

Ralston18

Titan
Plus there are also those users who go to the internet and follow some online "hack", "fix", "enhancement", "configuration secret", "gamer tool", etc.for whatever reasons and edit the registry, install startup apps and utilities that do who really knows what.

And/or mess up the procedure along the way.....

All too easy to misread or misundertand some posted "how to" video or tutorial. If the video or tutorial is even correct, valid, or applicable to begin with. Few people look for validation and just ignore any risks/benefits consideration.

Willing to do anything to gain a few fps's and win whatever game is in vogue at the time.

Then a real update of any sort comes along and all falls apart when things are not as required or expected. Things that should never have been changed to begin with.

Lots to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". At many levels.

Nov 3, 2023
What's this then?

I read through the posts too -- I used at least 2 work-issued HP ProBooks in the past couple of years (I still have one 440 G8 here). Never, ever have I had any of them start a BIOS update in those conditions and certainly not without my approval. I am calling BS on that claim unless there's more than one.

On this I agree with you 100% -- bricking is bad and apparently they screwed up and it's not the first time.

However, implying that automatic Windows Update had something to do with it in the article title and saying update was forced when many of them actually allowed it or started it themselves is not conveying accurate information. Even mentioning that user's flashing on empty battery claim is information which is impossible to verify from a sample size of one and since the cause of bricking is bad BIOS itself and not flashing process it should have been omitted from the article and let the readers read it in the context of the original thread and decide whether to trust it or not instead of amplifying it through your own journalistic authority.

I don't know what part of plain English saying "I didn't pick that title" didn't compute to you the first time, but I'm not gonna say it again.

As for the rest. I did my due diligence, as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care if you agree. Start paying me if you want to make demands, or shut up.

Jun 11, 2024
great to hear this and sorry for all those that own an HP, myself included. never again, just junk

Status
Not open for further replies.