HP Confirms Printer, PC Groups Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
The merged division will not be called the Printing and Personal Systems Group.
The combined entity will officially be called the Printing and Personal Systems Group

make up your mind. :)

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
The only thing that is bs is the part about improving customer service. Of course I don't know of any computer related company that has any customer service to begin with. It seems like a foreign idea to companies now days.

Sounds a lot like rock-painting to me.
HP needs to remember it is a PRINTER company first. I just hope aligning printers with personal computers means they will get their Universal Fail drivers working.

f-14

Distinguished
i quit buying and recommending HP products when they started requiring bloatware software just to install a driver to make their product work.
i will have to switch completely to konica minolta printers now that kodak is done for.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]HP is such bullshit.[/citation]

Pff better than shitty Dell with their shitty parts. I've had both and Dells were nothing but trouble and the HP's/ Compaq's have been pretty much problem free for years. The only problem I've had with HP is a crashed HDD which could happen to anyone.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Slickrick214[/nom]Pff better than shitty Dell with their shitty parts. I've had both and Dells were nothing but trouble and the HP's/ Compaq's have been pretty much problem free for years. The only problem I've had with HP is a crashed HDD which could happen to anyone.[/citation]

now, now... I think we can all agree that there is enough fail between both companies... i wouldn't buy a product from either one... well unless a new WebOS procuct was released but that is very unlikely

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I hate HP printers/MFC's with a passion. The hardware is fine and dandy but MY GOD the software is a horribly bloated nightmare. I don't know when they decided having drivers taking up hundreds of megabytes and requiring multiple restarts just to install or uninstall was a good idea. I thought Adobe or Apple was bad but HP takes the cake.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Of the major system builders (HP, Dell, Sony, and Toshiba), the companies that let you go to their website and let you pick your parts for a system, HP is the best. Obviously I'm not talking about the aftermarket crowd, like most of us here, who buy a case and the bits and put them together. I'm talking about the places you can go to on the web and choose a series and pick from a few options of CPUs, GPUs and a few options on software. Of those companies, HP has the best selection of parts for their systems. Toshiba tends to be the best at keeping bloat-ware to a minimum, but HP isn't that far behind. and of course, HP and Toshiba tend to be the cheaper options.

This move on its own is not particularly noteworthy actually. It simply is a step to cut overhead in the company. It's unclear how this will actually affect products, as cost cutting for bottom-line finances sake or efficiency's sake doesn't always necessarily mean a change in product quality one way or another. It will be in the market for a new laptop later this year, and the HP dv7 series is among my finalists right now.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
An HP printer I bought 8 years ago is still alive and kicking. At least the printer hardware is something they do right, although I'm not sure if the quality is still as good today.

yea thats fine and all but enjoy spending up to 100 bucks in ink cartridges and thats if you buy both black
and color at the same time. you can buy a brand new printer for less than the cost of replacement ink for a HP printer

what would be better if they gave us back the option to just download the driver instead of the whole printer package with their crapware

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]now, now... I think we can all agree that there is enough fail between both companies... i wouldn't buy a product from either one... well unless a new WebOS procuct was released but that is very unlikely[/citation]

I would not buy an OEM computer since now I build my own but if I had to buy an OEM computer it would be an HP and if I had to recommend a OEM computer to someone it would be HP. I have owned HP/Compaq computers and printers forever and have had little to no problems. Enough fail between both companies, what fails?

Hardware- never had a motherboard, video card or RAM die or have major problems. Thats more than I can say for Dell, Gateway or any of the other major OEM computers.

HDD- Yea it failed on me but that could happen to anyone on big box computers or homebuilt. I've had homebuilt HDD's fail on me too. I don't blame HP for the HDD failure I blame Western Digital.

Customer service- The few times I have had to call CS (once for the HDD mentioned above and once for a blown PSU) the people were nice, it was quick and I had a replacement part shipped to me free of charge overnight. That's more than I can say for Dell's s***** customer service were you talk to a bunch of ignorant monkey's reading from a script. and good luck trying to not be on the phone for anything less than four hours.

From my time using OEM computers HP has always been reliable and nothing but good. Unless I noticed things really going down the toilet like they did with Dell I will continue to recommend HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.